• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel gauge problem.

Terry Kitzman

Local time
9:02 AM
Reaction score
My fuel gauge gives inaccurate readings. I never know what's really in the tank. The sending unit was changed during the rebuild but it's from China so who knows. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Also who sells a good replacement fuel sender?

Last edited:
Multiple issues with 66-67 replacement fuel sending units. They can be bent to give correct F & E readings, but good luck on anything in between.

Make sure the sender is grounded. The strap runs from it to the fuel line and clips on.

make sure the float has air in it, not liquid

be nice to get the E reading correct if nothing else.

I hear the china ones are problematic.

My fuel gauge gives inaccurate readings. I never know what's really in the tank. The sending unit was changed during the rebuild but it's from China so who knows. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
The gauge itself is more than likely the culprit. if at any point in its life the bimetal strip wrapped with nichrome wire that's inside the gauge was heated for to long it will warp and give false readings. Or if the nichrome wire is charred the same will happen. The Fuel, temp, oil gauges all run off of appx 5v and there is a points style limiter inside the fuel gauge that regulates the voltage to the three gauges. If the points stick closed it sends 12v to the gauges and fries them in 20 seconds. Most people over time have converted the fuel gauge to a electronic regulator by RTE its IVR3, or some other regulator. I would call Mark (the gauge doc) or Jeff Intwert in Canada, Both of these people can work on the gauge. You can find both on this site or on Fb.

I would think twice before using this product. Couldn't get it to work on my 66 and the tech support couldn't either. I'll make you the deal of the century if you really want one.
This will not fix a problem. You have to fix a problem before you can use it. Its main purpose is to adjust for a mis calibrated sending unit. You need a functioning gauge and sender for it to work. Mine is extremely accurate.

Auto Transport Service
Back