• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Line Leak

JJordan1173

Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,

Anyone have any thoughts on a fuel line leak between between the pump and carb pictured below? Not sure if it is a hairline crack. It is leaking at the fitting. I am thinking it may be a good time to replace the line and the pump.

I have never replaced a steel line like this. I am thinking I will take it to a shop as I am having unrelated body work done anyway. However given the leaks position, I am reluctant to even crank it up as it is so close to electrical components. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

20231127_163317.jpg

20231127_163247.jpg

Get two wrenches and crack it loose and and re-seat it..

Hello All,

Anyone have any thoughts on a fuel line leak between between the pump and carb pictured below? Not sure if it is a hairline crack. It is leaking at the fitting. I am thinking it may be a good time to replace the line and the pump.

I have never replaced a steel line like this. I am thinking I will take it to a shop as I am having unrelated body work done anyway. However given the leaks position, I am reluctant to even crank it up as it is so close to electrical components. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

View attachment 1564775

View attachment 1564778
The fitting you are referring to on the pump's discharge or outlet fitting is called a MALE INVERTED FLAIR connection. It is likely that the tubing is 5/16" diameter. Yes, use two wrenches....the wrench for the tubing connection should be a FLARE NUT WRENCH, to prevent rounding of the hex on the male inverted flare nut. Use a open end wrench on the fuel pump's outlet fitting boss to prevent over stressing the housing......just my opinions
BOB RENTON

Get a new hard line, replace the rubber line and clamp as well. These parts are a zillion years old, why take a chance ?

Auto Transport Service
Back