• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Problem

So here is what I had to do is replace my fuel pump with a Holley one. That darn pump I bought brand new looked like the original one. I was looking for original look for the purest. The Holley is a manual pump and is rebuildable. Not cheap. Was doing the same thing running out of fuel to the carb with that other pump. I was thinking vapor lock also but wrong. Could put some gas in the carb and it would start and run but would shut off at a stop. The car ran but was jerky like out of timing. I beat my head on the wall for day
s trying to figure it all out. Brand new fuel pump went bad and was probably giving me problems with it from the start. Like I stated was trying to find the right timing for the motor from start to driving it would start and run but when driving seemed not to have the right timing skip and sputter.

Alright thanks! Now that I think back when I John Wolf restored the OG sending unit he said he doesn't put a sock on when he restores a sending unit b/c they break down and disintegrate into the tank over time.
Wow. That seems like a dumb reason to eliminate the sock. The only reason I can think of that would destroy the sock would be to sit empty with a bunch of rusty gunk eating away at it. Seems to me it almost guarantees a problem in short order.

So here is what I had to do is replace my fuel pump with a Holley one. That darn pump I bought brand new looked like the original one. I was looking for original look for the purest. The Holley is a manual pump and is rebuildable. Not cheap. Was doing the same thing running out of fuel to the carb with that other pump. I was thinking vapor lock also but wrong. Could put some gas in the carb and it would start and run but would shut off at a stop. The car ran but was jerky like out of timing. I beat my head on the wall for day
s trying to figure it all out. Brand new fuel pump went bad and was probably giving me problems with it from the start. Like I stated was trying to find the right timing for the motor from start to driving it would start and run but when driving seemed not to have the right timing skip and sputter.
Wow no kidding?!? Mine will run fine but the first sign is when I run it a little aggressive shifting into 3rd & 4th it'll hesitate then it stalls out within a few minutes. Did yours die out in time at idle btw?

I had a problem once like that, it turned out to be the short rubber section back at the fuel tank. After awhile, about 5 minutes or so car would start running bad and then die. What I found was that the inside of the fuel hose was collapsing and shutting off the fuel supply up to the pump. I did what was suggested above, I used a small tank up by the engine and ran a line from the pump directly, car ran with no issue. Thats how I isolated from the intake side of the pump back to the tank. Changed out that short section of hose and never had another problem.

UPDATE: I've blown out the fuel line and the gas tank vent lines all were clear. Adjusted timing (seems to like 10 degrees) Test drives= runs good but still doesn't like WOT in 4th (hesitates) had it out on 2 occasions, 12 miles around the neighborhood for about 40-45 minutes. Get home, letting it idle for a few minutes while I open up the garage and it starts to sputter then dies, check the carb=no gas. After one of these drives it started up fine the next morning but the other I had to prime the carb.

Alright thanks! Now that I think back when John Wolf restored the OG sending unit he said he doesn't put a sock on when he restores a sending unit b/c they break down and disintegrate into the tank over time.
IMO, that Wolf guy is causing your problem. No sock on the fuel line will get you walking home sooner or later. Automotive engineers for all makes were smart enough to add them. Even my weed whacker has one.

IMO, that Wolf guy is causing your problem. No sock on the fuel line will get you walking home sooner or later. Automotive engineers for all makes were smart enough to add them. Even my weed whacker has one.
I'd think the problem would have appeared before now, I installed in 2019 also the fuel line and filter were clear when I blew them out. Frustrating.

Auto Transport Service
Back