• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Pump

67GTX440

Local time
4:51 PM
Reaction score
I went to visit my GTX in car jail (body paint/shop) and siphoned the old gas out of the tank and added fresh fuel before cranking the engine. The car will fire and run briefly if I add gas to the carb, but is getting no gas to the carb as evidenced when I disconnect the fuel line from the carb. Car was not started for eight months or so and has been in the paint shop for fifteen months total. I bought a new fuel pump today to install.

My question is this? Does the new fuel pump have the ability to pull gas from the tank or do I need to prime the fuel line to the fuel pump somehow to ensure no air in the fuel line? The gas cap is off the car for painting, but I am thinking this is not a factor. The guy at the paint shop recommended disconnecting the line to the fuel pump and blowing compressed air into the tank, but I am afraid of expanding the fuel tank or blowing out any iffy rubber hoses between the tank and the fuel pump.

When I disconnect the fuel from the fuel pump, will gravity take care of flow from the gas tank to the fuel pump, or do I need to make sure the gas line is primed to the fuel pump somehow? Is the fuel pump the most likely suspect?

Thanks!

Don
Jacksonville, FL

They don't need a prime, they suck right from the tank in just a few seconds. I replaced my old hacked up fuel line from tank to carb and added a new pump. Car fired up after maybe like 10 - 20 seconds.

Yeah, you can prime the fuel system using compressed air...but, carefully!

Pull the fuel line at the carb, and put a can under it. At the tank fill, use a rag around the air nozzle. The idea is to force fuel through the lines, to the pump, and past. Having the line open at the carb, just eases the deal.

Use only short blasts of air (a few seconds), putting slight pressure in the tank. You'll get fuel to the carb fairly quick, unless some kind of blockage. Simply button up, and enjoy!

When you change your pump check your fuel pump push rod. Those have a tendancy of getting ate up by the cam if they are aftermarket MP types. I think they are supposed to be 3 1/4" long, someone correct me if I'm off.

Thanks for all the advice. I will get the fuel pump changed out and let you know how it goes!

Thanks!

Don Peterson

Changed out the fuel pump and the car fired right up and ran smoothly after sitting unstarted in the paint/body shop for eight months. I think I am going to go down and start it weekly and fill the shop with carbon monoxide. Maybe that will give them some incentive to finish it up. Will be 16 months the 21st of this month.

Auto Transport Service
Back