• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel sending unit 69 plymouth gtx

ultramag870

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
Fixing to change fuel sending unit on 69 plymouth.. Any tips or advice appreciated..

Drain the gas first.....No smoking...lol

The specific wrench for removing the fuel sending unit lock retainer makes life a lot easier when trying to remove it. Otherwise a rubber mallet and vinyl trim tool will work to tap it around. Be sure to install the new sending unit right side up. Seen some guys install them upside down, so pay attention which way the old one comes out. Spectra makes a good fuel sending unit. I would Ohms test it when it comes in. Should read somewhere around 10 to 80-90 Ohms when cycled. Pretty common for the ones on the market today to be bunk. Re-installing make sure your vent lines are not clogged and hooked up. Also make sure you have the ground strap that runs from the sending unit to the fuel line installed. Either that or run a chunk of 12 gauge wire from one to the other if the strap is missing (cover the ends with liquid electrical tape). Good luck.

got the tank dropped and old unit out this afternoon now i smell like a gas pump..lol ,one of the vent lines are there goes up to trunk looks like but it wasnt hooked up.. other vent line is plugged off..

Question. my actual sending unit i ordered has one fuel line and another vent line so got 2 vents on top of the tank and one on the sending unit which ones do i hook up and which ones will be ok to cap off not worried about how its supposed to be how it will work is fine as my car is just a cruiser..
thanks

Both vent lines on the tank itself need to be used....One has a line that runs internally to the rear of the tank, the other just inside the front of the tank. Reason for that is when the fuel is leveled to the back or front, the tank will be vented either way. The vent line to the inside goes goes up and U's over next to the shock crossmember. The other vent line to the outside runs up into the upper trunk area and dumps back down in the right frame rail. That extra "vent" on the sending unit itself you're speaking of is actually a vapor return line. Certain motor combinations had a vapor return line back to the tank. If you're not running that system, just plug it off. Good luck.

Let us know if the gauge reads full when full when done.

Auto Transport Service
Back