• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tank sender ground

Sadly no......and be very careful with these old tanks......vapor is the enemy.........keep well ventilated ect. Sending unit may be the issue...like some have suggested. Looks like the the tank may be newer then original?
Yes new tank, car was restored about 14 years ago. As of now I don’t know if there’s an aftermarket in tank unit or OEM.

Yes new tank, car was restored about 14 years ago. As of now I don’t know if there’s an aftermarket in tank unit or OEM.

See if you can get a ohms reading off it. It may be that the unit is not sending correctly.

Used meter to read ohms off sender, one lead to ground other lead to stud at sender, then face of sender, wire disconnected, after second or two meter reads 00.0 I'm assuming sender is shot. Gauge goes to E and stops.If I have 00.0 should it move at all ?

Need to try again, realized I had leads plugged into wrong ports, dumb mistake.

Hooked meter up correctly and same results, initially shows 35, 28, then settling at 0. Checked tank to bumper bolt also 0.

I pulled the sending unit out of my 65 Belvedere wagon and used carb and choke cleaner to clean it up. Had to do a little manipulation to make sure the contact and spring were touching. I tested for ohms and it was fine. I had to repair a couple of holes at the top of the tank, used that tank seal stuff inside and painted the whole tank with black chassis paint. I just ran a ground wire from the sending unit to the frame. Gauge has been working ever since. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself.)

Auto Transport Service
Back