• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tank vents leaking

Mopewbie

Local time
1:00 AM
Reaction score
Hello all. I noticed today the fuel tank vents are leaking. Car is leveled and full tank on Thursday evening 6 miles from home. It was dripping really bad, no idea how much fuel I lost in the couple of days.

Anyway, weather is no hot at all to justify pressure in the tank, I did open the cap and could hear a "breath" sound but nothing unusual.
What I could see is I have 2 tubes, both about the same high. One has the figure of 7 (on the right) and the other one seems to be cut from the original long one right after the grommet. Since it was coming from the top and ruining the under paint coat (as one can see in the picture) and everything I decided to put a hose only to direct the dripping straight to the floor avoiding the car.
No clamps at all to hold it in place.

Question is: (besides why the hell that's happening), if I have to use the metal one or I can get away using a rubber hose trying to go the same way the metal one would?

Been told on Facebook it can be due to the new (here in the UK) E10 gas, that I should be using an alcohol proof hose and/or a ethanol eliminator. I know it can damage things at some point but I doubt that happens in the very first tank using the E10. (Can't find the E5 anywhere at the moment) but unfortunately the person has decided to close my post for some reason.
If that's the reason why that happens?

Pics attached.
Thank you very much.

20211010_185005.jpg 20211010_140213.jpg

Just realised people thought it is leaking through the hose, IT ISN'T. It's leaking from the pipe (pic attached)

It was the first time I was checking that and now the hose clamps are in place.

aviary-image-1633936822950.jpeg

Send it back here, I’ll take care of the problem.
:lol:
I’ve had them leak at the place where the tube goes thru, on a sending unit I soldered the joint and swapped my original back in and tossed the Chinese one.

Auto Transport Service
Back