• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage Heater – Recommendations?

I still use my multi-fuel torpedo heater. Something silly like 255k BTU, in my 40x40 shop...I run it for about ten minutes in below-freezing weather, and I have to shut it off because I'm sweating! Kero, diesel, JP8, it'll run on any of it. No more odor than...well...being in a garage in the first place. Shop is insulated, 10' ceilings, so it holds temp pretty well all year (have a window unit for summer a/c - my concert company equipment lives in there as well so I try and regulate it and keep it dry).

Ron, since you are already set up for gas it would be easier and cheaper to replace it with a gas unit. This Reznor forced air furnace has served me well for 16 years. Recovery time is fast and it keeps the garage comfortable even when outside temps dip into the -30’s F. It has a low temp thermostat and doesn’t run a lot when it’s dialed back to 45 while I’m not out there.

image.jpg

This works great in my 30x30, 9.5 ceiling
A few years back we had a record low of -33 and it still cycled like normal when even the house furnace was struggling View attachment 1525792View attachment 1525793
That’s what I had in my last garage. Only ran it when I was working in it. Always kept it nice. Don’t do electric as written, not near as efficient. Luckily, I don’t need one here!

since you are already set up for gas it would be easier and cheaper to replace it with a gas unit.
Yeah, as WileERobby suggested makes the most sense. Just wasn’t sure about my old bud’s high rec’s on an electric as I’m not up on the possible latest with electric heaters. But, he doesn’t use it unless working in the garage and I like to keep it above freezing for my old ride and all the stuff I have stored there that shouldn’t be frozen.

Maybe I can locate a new heater that’s configured pretty close to what I have to avoid redoing the gas pipe and venting much. I’ve put in several new parts that appeared to conform with the flasher signal on the CB, couple of sensors, put in a new blower/motor, thermo, the heat transfer tubing looks good, perfect flame, but be damned if I can get it to run right. Even had a service tech out to look at it. He seemed confused after his checks, recommended a new CB or new unit. Those parts I put in were pretty inexpensive; but now getting into a new CB, and required kit to make this conversion, since the board available isn’t a match for the old one w/o a conversion kit, the cost seems nuts. $250 for the board and $570 for the kit!
What happens is the heater will flame up then quickly shut down turning on the fan that will run for an hour - ok high temp sensor crap? Replaced it, nada. Ok, the flame sensor? Replaced that, another nada. Grrr

Appreciate all the great advice here!

Yeah, as WileERobby suggested makes the most sense. Just wasn’t sure about my old bud’s high rec’s on an electric as I’m not up on the possible latest with electric heaters. But, he doesn’t use it unless working in the garage and I like to keep it above freezing for my old ride and all the stuff I have stored there that shouldn’t be frozen.

Maybe I can locate a new heater that’s configured pretty close to what I have to avoid redoing the gas pipe and venting much. I’ve put in several new parts that appeared to conform with the flasher signal on the CB, couple of sensors, put in a new blower/motor, thermo, the heat transfer tubing looks good, perfect flame, but be damned if I can get it to run right. Even had a service tech out to look at it. He seemed confused after his checks, recommended a new CB or new unit. Those parts I put in were pretty inexpensive; but now getting into a new CB, and required kit to make this conversion, since the board available isn’t a match for the old one w/o a conversion kit, the cost seems nuts. $250 for the board and $570 for the kit!
What happens is the heater will flame up then quickly shut down turning on the fan that will run for an hour - ok high temp sensor crap? Replaced it, nada. Ok, the flame sensor? Replaced that, another nada. Grrr

Appreciate all the great advice here!
It’s been a while, how much is a new one? I had put mine in 12 years ago. Is your current one a ceiling hung? If it is, shouldn’t be too bad to replace. Im sure you already have a B-type vent, and the gas can be hooked up with a flex line.

The newer Reznor heaters have the vent coming out similiar to that Lennox you have now. On the smaller size Modine Hot Dawg's you can flip them over to get the vent where you want it.

It’s been a while, how much is a new one? I had put mine in 12 years ago. Is your current one a ceiling hung? If it is, shouldn’t be too bad to replace. Im sure you already have a B-type vent, and the gas can be hooked up with a flex line.
Ceiling mounted, see my earlier posted photo. Guessing right now on pricing, but have to figure at least a grand and some hundreds for a unit like mine. I got it lightly used around ‘00 as I remember for $400 off ebay from a guy 70 miles from me. $800 for more parts seems nuts to try to fix this one. Was a much younger guy when I hoisted it up so might just have an outfit come out and quote new install. Suppose that’ll add a bunch to costs; but a quote to find out…won’t hurt; I think.

Thanks! Good to know - I wasn't aware of this.
The newer Reznor heaters have the vent coming out similiar to that Lennox you have now. On the smaller size Modine Hot Dawg's you can flip them over to get the vent where you want it.

Ceiling mounted, see my earlier posted photo. Guessing right now on pricing, but have to figure at least a grand and some hundreds for a unit like mine. I got it lightly used around ‘00 as I remember for $400 off ebay from a guy 70 miles from me. $800 for more parts seems nuts to try to fix this one. Was a much younger guy when I hoisted it up so might just have an outfit come out and quote new install. Suppose that’ll add a bunch to costs; but a quote to find out…won’t hurt; I think.
The fixing thing is what I was kinda saying. Heck before you know it you’re rebuilding most of it and it’s still not as efficient as a new one. Heck, get a couple buds, figure out where you want it close to height wise, make a sturdy stand,(a few 2x4s) shim it with blocks of wood, have them balance it, get it mounted and you’re good to go. Unfortunately, it would probably cost as much to get it placed, as the unit, itself. You can use the 2xs for another project.

I wouldn’t worry about vent location, mine was adapted in when the old one with the vertical plenum took a poop, we used the same vent location using this adjustable joint and same attic mounting hardware by using C channel to adapt to the new one
IMG_2879.png

Last edited:
I still use my multi-fuel torpedo heater. Something silly like 255k BTU, in my 40x40 shop...I run it for about ten minutes in below-freezing weather, and I have to shut it off because I'm sweating! Kero, diesel, JP8, it'll run on any of it. No more odor than...well...being in a garage in the first place. Shop is insulated, 10' ceilings, so it holds temp pretty well all year (have a window unit for summer a/c - my concert company equipment lives in there as well so I try and regulate it and keep it dry).
If you get a headache, carbonmonoxide poisoning is happening becareful.

Yeah, could likely do that, I have it suspended with S hooks and enough lumber around, too much, lol.
Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Very helpful.
get a couple buds, figure out where you want it

I'm looking at one of the hot dawg models on the web for $900, direct shipping and says all USA made with similar config as the one I have. I'll have to check on the Reznors as I see some fellow members posting have the dawg and the Rez's..

I bought a Mr. Heater from Northern tool for around $500. and it works great in a 2 car garage. When you install a heater I recommend a thermostat cutoff switch for the door. Just route your thermostat wire through the switch : see attached. Also install weather seal around
a roll up door.

20230917_075556.jpg

20230917_075617.jpg

20230917_075655.jpg

This Reznor forced air furnace has served me well for 16 years
As I'm looking around for a new one, can I ask where you bought your Reznor? Thanks

I'm looking at one of the hot dawg models on the web for $900, direct shipping and says all USA made with similar config as the one I have. I'll have to check on the Reznors as I see some fellow members posting have the dawg and the Rez's..
I sell and install both Reznor and Modine. Both are decent heaters imo.

Mr. Heater Big Max 50,000, 3500 sq ft, 10 ft ceiling, insulated. In Ohio, 2 years now and works great. The instructions caution about minimum installation height. Thats to prevent bumping your noggin or hitting it with a vehicle or such. Just put it in a protected area. The provided thermostat is junk.

Ron, you should stick with gas as others have said.
I wanted to reply in case anyone else is interested in various products.
Full disclosure: this is mounted in the garage space under my house, which is also part of the HVAC of the house. I put it up because I only keep the garage at about 50 degrees all winter and I wanted a secondary heat in case my furnace went bad(that happened right after purchase of this actually) because of well tanks etc in there. Further, it is much easier to push a button and wait 5 minutes to make it 65-70 degrees in there without messing with my home system for when i want to do something in there.
I bought this:
Amazon product ASIN B06WD8SJ2B
It would easily heat the space even without my home heat. It has a remote.
I bought mine, 2 years ago, for $480 from Menards. I hate Menards. I didn't go there looking to see what they had, I went there because this unit (was, maybe still is?) made in USA and they happened to sell it. Not to get political but I will say I am glad I bought mine when I did seeing list price now.

A note to anyone not familiar-
Heaters like this pull some AMPS when under full load. They require heavy wire. I think this one requires 8 gauge, I got some free 6 guage from work so I used that. This is not a space heater you plug in with a heavy extension cord. Seeing what wire costs now, that needs to be a factor in your install.

My "shop" is not attached to the house. It has the old 1970's deisel furnace with pinholes in the heat exchanger. Suffice to say it does the job. Module for the blower control went bad so I wired it direct to a 110volt outlet, otherwise old oil furnaces are super simple to understand and fix. A simple flat cover with a 12" elbow serves to direct the hot air to the center of the shop. If my shop was air tight I would be worried about the pin holes. As it is certainly NOT air tight I am not worried at all. If you live somewhere with rear end clenching levels of regulation and codes and inspections then you need to mind how the oil is stored. I have an old furnace tank, was good enough for someones basement in a farmhouse, is good enough for my shop.

As I'm looking around for a new one, can I ask where you bought your Reznor? Thanks

The HVAC contractor that did the rest of my house also supplied the garage heater and performed the install.

UPDATE on my garage heater: Finished the installation of the Modine Hot Dawg furnace couple days ago. I bought it through 'Supply House' an outfit I've purchased several HVAC parts from. Great outfit to work with. They refunded the $230 circuit board I bought last fall having it in the box until last month, when I was going to put it in the 20+ year-old Lennox before cold weather. Well, come to find a 'conversion' kit would be necessary to install the CB - for - $650! So a new board + kit around 900 bucks? Got this new one for $840/free shipping.

Still have a few things to wrap up, including vent pipe taping and vent wall insulation/enclosure.

My many THANK you's to all replying; this was MOST helpful in deciding what to do.

Garage Heater 1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back