• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Cap ???

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
I have a 70 RR 440+6 auto with ESC california emissions. Is the gas cap vented or non vented? I believe my setup is currently wrong. I don't have a vapor canister. Any help is appreciated.

Chuck

I think the tank is vented. If your tank is vented then your gas cap doesn't need to be vented.

My cap is not vented, but the tank is. The 68-70 have the same tank.

In fact, my cap says very prominently "NOT VENTED"

Neither the cap or tank is vented to atmosphere, it is a closed system. Vapors from tank run to a special cap on the right valve cover. There is no vapor canister either. Air grabber cars have a vacuum canister that some confuse with emissions.

I don't have a vapor canister on the fuel line attached to the fuel fuel pump. My gas tank has the 4 lines that come out the pass side & go up to a tube in the trunk. Is there a vapor canister missing or is the gas tank all there is on a calif emissioned car.

Chuck

Yes you ae missing the vapor canister and probably the return line. ll 440+6 I belive came with this set up. You said you have 4 lines? my 69 has 3, 1 feed to pump from tank, and 2 vent lines one short and one into and out of trunk, your 4th would be the return line.

Get up under there and trace out the two lines going forward. get the canister and get it all right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-68-71...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a38678a6a&vxp=mtr

I don't have a vapor canister on the fuel line attached to the fuel fuel pump. My gas tank has the 4 lines that come out the pass side & go up to a tube in the trunk. Is there a vapor canister missing or is the gas tank all there is on a calif emissioned car.

What you're talking about is a vapor separator, it is a combination fuel filter with a return to the tank (at sending unit). It is used on 440HP/ hemi cars to prevent vapor lock under high temp conditions, it has nothing to do with ECS. A separate line goes from that tube in the trunk (called a vapor-liquid separator) to the special cap on the right side valve cover on ECS cars.

See you're from the burg, thought I was the only one here with a CA-spec 440-6 RR! Located in West View, about 10 miles north of downtown via I-279.

What you're talking about is a vapor separator, it is a combination fuel filter with a return to the tank (at sending unit). It is used on 440HP/ hemi cars to prevent vapor lock under high temp conditions, it has nothing to do with ECS. A separate line goes from that tube in the trunk (called a vapor-liquid separator) to the special cap on the right side valve cover on ECS cars.

See you're from the burg, thought I was the only one here with a CA-spec 440-6 RR! Located in West View, about 10 miles north of downtown via I-279.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any pix available of where the line from the valve cover comes & goes to? any help is greatly appreciated.
it's nice to see another burg person. i I live in the pleasant hills area.

Chuck

Do you have any pix available of where the line from the valve cover comes & goes to?

My car's in storage right now. My original rubber ECS lines started leaking a few years ago, had to remove the tank to replace & took a few pics so I could duplicate with new lines. Here's some of the tank & ends-

rrgastank_zps7cae6bc4.jpg
rr ecs quarter.jpg
rr- engine&ag.jpg
rr vac can.jpg

Thanks for the pix. I'm still not getting the clear picture here. With the rubber line coming from the breather, is there still a vapor canister by the fuel pump. And does the rubber line coming from the breather go straight to the gas tank somewhere?

Chuck

I'm still not getting the clear picture here. With the rubber line coming from the breather, is there still a vapor canister by the fuel pump. And does the rubber line coming from the breather go straight to the gas tank somewhere?

The line from the breather goes to line at the right quarter panel, it's the one that still has a hose on it in the 2nd pic above. There is actually a sheet metal cover over the lines which is removed in the pic.

The return line from the vapor canister (by fuel pump) goes to the sending unit on the gas tank. If you look closely on the 1st pic of the gas tank, you'll see 2 lines from the sender on the right. Again this has nothing to do with the ECS, non-CA cars with 440HP/ hemi have this.

The service manual has good pics of both the ECS system & vapor separators.

Finally crawled under my RR yesterday. Found 3 lines coming forward from the tank area. All 3 went as far as the pass floor board. 2 were snipped & only the fule line line continued. Looks like i need to replace the fuel vapor line & the emission line from the breather to the ecs port on the gas tank.

Chuck

Your fuel tank filler neck will also be different for ECS on a 70 than non ECS

I have what i believe is a gas cap for an ECS tank. It does'nt fit. My car does have the ECs tank. You said the filler neck is different. I can't find anyone who lists a filler neck for it. Any ideas where i can get one?

Chuck

I have what i believe is a gas cap for an ECS tank. It does'nt fit. My car does have the ECs tank. You said the filler neck is different. I can't find anyone who lists a filler neck for it. Any ideas where i can get one?

Unlikely they changed out the filler neck if you have an original ECS tank, they virtually never go bad unless car had collision damage, although they sometimes get rusty especially w/ the ethanol crap they sell for gas. Filler necks are pretty much a used-only part, finding an original ECS one would be a needle-in-haystack deal. Not sure about the difference between ECS & non-ECS fillers, probably has to do with the cap mounting. ECS has an odd cap, different from others I've seen/ owned. Why not just leave car as-is? The ECS really is a non-factor as far as performance or drivability. Same for the vapor lock deal, never had a problem with cars without the return line. As long as your car runs cool & not in 115F desert, vapor lock should not be a problem.

Thanks again for the info. The car is about 90% original. I'm just trying to keep as much oringinality as possible to it. I'm in the process of putting new lines forward for the esc & vapor line. The gas tank is the ecs variety.

Chuck

Chuck
Yes the ECS neck is difficult to find in good used condition and i am with you on keeping your car original i am the same way. Many people don't know how to tell the difference and sell them not knowing. Maybe you do have the correct neck and the incorrect cap, if you post some pics of the back of the cap and the opening of your filler neck i should be able to see if it is a correct one for ECS.

Chuck

Some good information here!

I have a 1970 383 Road Runner with California emissions. My car has the two lines that run from the tank to the firewall as well as the tube in the trunk. My car did not have any evidence of the fuel pump separator, which makes sense since it is a 383 car. My car has a non-vented gas cap.

I am now going to fuel inject the car, so I am getting a new custom made tank. The new tank will require cutting and modification of the filler neck. I never knew the ECS filler neck was different. Guess I should find a standard one to cut up...

Yes i would find a non ECS neck if i was going to cut one up and either keep your original in case you go back to original or sell it as they are tough to find in good used condition. Looking forward to more pics of your car its almost a twin to mine

I have a 1970 383 Road Runner with California emissions. My car has the two lines that run from the tank to the firewall as well as the tube in the trunk. My car did not have any evidence of the fuel pump separator, which makes sense since it is a 383 car. My car has a non-vented gas cap.

I am now going to fuel inject the car, so I am getting a new custom made tank. The new tank will require cutting and modification of the filler neck. I never knew the ECS filler neck was different. Guess I should find a standard one to cut up...

Thanks for the info. I'll try & get some pix tonite.

Chuck

- - - Updated - - -

Let me know if maybe you would like to swap a new filler neck for yours.

Chuck

Auto Transport Service
Back