• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas tank crapped out...nasty weekend

So if the car had a 3rd seat, the spare would be vertical on the side and sitting in a well?
Not on an early b body. The sides don’t open up, just cavernous wheel well underneath rather side. Spare tire sits flat under the 3rd seat. In this photo, you can see the sides don’t have storage.

later cars are as you describe.

F0AC4AA3-A13C-4313-B4B5-F122EC9F9808.jpeg

Son was over for the holidays...helped me get the hood off the ‘65, a 2-man job. The luggage rack on a wagon is about the nicest storage spot for a hood you could ask for.

AA5458A0-5F16-48FC-9AAD-09A23ECE3DE8.jpeg
49A3600D-4947-490B-8DE7-6BA785E10BCF.jpeg

my son and I used the 3 step process by KBS coatings on my 59 Desoto
We were very impressed with the results
step 1 cleaned out the sludge
step 2 cleaned out the rust
step 3 left a very impressive coating inside the tank
We cleaned the outside of the Tank and sprayed it with rust convertor then Painted it
This was over a year ago and no more problems since

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/kbs-tank-sealer-system.html

Fixed my tank no problem, after a few failed attempts.
Doesn't leak, weep, drip, smell, nothing.
It's been 4 years.

My wagon sat for decades with an empty tank, must have had moisture in it, bottom section had pinholes.

All are Tanksinc sending unit eliminating parts off of Summit.
Threaded C ring, bolts with o-rings, metal cap, gasket, not the cork gasket, the other one, neoprene iirc.

Left tank in car. Cut a hole where all the pinholes were big enough to slide the C ring in, drilled 5 holes for the bolts, done.
I had to bend one end of the metal plate slightly as it was close to the edge of the tank.

20190511_155159.jpg

Interesting. I’m leaning toward taking it out and sending it to a radiator shop and see what they could do.

My understanding is the axle has to be removed, or at the least taken off the spring and slid forward.
Not positive as I didn't have to remove tank.

My tank removal on my 64 Fury wagon,I removed both shocks to get the rear end as low as I could. Watch the brake hose so you don't over stretch it. The tank just came out doing it this way. I had to remove a lot of hard mud and gravel to get my tank loose.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back