• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Tank Replacement

The idea of the 1 strap fuel tank was that in an accident the tank would detach from the car and take the gas away from the damaged vehicle. This was found not to be a good idea in real world experience and government mandating so later B-Bodies did go to a 2 strap mounting.

The idea of the 1 strap fuel tank was that in an accident the tank would detach from the car and take the gas away from the damaged vehicle. This was found not to be a good idea in real world experience and government mandating so later B-Bodies did go to a 2 strap mounting.
This here is a good explanation and 2 straps a sensible upgrade.

Makes perfect sense for 1964. That' also explains why the fuel sender ground strap is just a push-on design.

Now that I've had one of these things apart, I see how "ify" the design is. I don't have a photo... (maybe KhryslerKid does) but the end of the strap has a tab which inserts into the car body. This tab design reduces the width of the tank strap down to about a quarter of it's width. SO, if there is a little fatigue fracture in that tab.... well, yeah... nothing but trouble.

Makes perfect sense for 1964. That' also explains why the fuel sender ground strap is just a push-on design.

Now that I've had one of these things apart, I see how "ify" the design is. I don't have a photo... (maybe KhryslerKid does) but the end of the strap has a tab which inserts into the car body. This tab design reduces the width of the tank strap down to about a quarter of it's width. SO, if there is a little fatigue fracture in that tab.... well, yeah... nothing but trouble.

It's been under there for 57 years...
20170503_193950.jpg
20181204_123524.jpg
20170503_173437.jpg
20170510_183911.jpg
20170505_155941.jpg
20170914_194607.jpg

I think the whole reason for the push on ground clip was just to use the fuel line for a ground. It bridges across the rubber hose for a connection. Without it you won't have a working fuel guage.
20181204_123825.jpg

Yes, when I had my S/S tank made I requested 2 new S/S straps. The front of the straps hang in existing holes in the crossmember (see Kid's 3rd picture above- the round holes outboard of the shock mounts).
DSCN0154.JPG
DSCN0155.JPG
I drilled 2 oversize holes in the rear trunk floor and (2) 3/8" holes below those in the rear crossmember. I bought (2) 6" carriage bolts, put a calculated bend in them and dropped them through the trunk floor holes and through the crossmember holes. Worked out fine.

On my 64 Ply, just used the single strap, though I added a self-adhesive strip of black felt against the tank. Just a little protection.
Nut on the strap bolt, added a second jam nut, to lock things in place.

Hey Colorado! Not trying to be a smartass, but in regards to the quote by "unknown". Way back I needed a chute and it weren't there! Yeah, but I pitched that little altered sideways and scrubbed off enough speed that I just made the last turnout at famoso dragstrip. LOL. True story. Happened bout 1990. No idea I could dance with that car like that. Adrenaline! Amazing. The car in my avatar.

We stock tanks, straps, sending units, etc. as we specialize in the 62-65 "B" bodies. Go to the 1962to1965mopar.nocar website for my contact info. Joe Suchy

Auto Transport Service
Back