• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Tank Sending Unit

JimM

Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
I just installed a new gas tank and sending unit on my 1966 Coronet 4 door. I can't get the gas gauge to register, it just stays at empty. This is a car I bought last year that was not running at the time and the tank was toast. I have no earlier reference if it worked before or if the problem is new. So at this point I'm wondering where to start tracking this problem down. Thanks for helping me out. Jim Macione

Have a good ground? I know on my 71 Charger there is a ground strap from the steel fuel line to the fuel tank sending unit.

It's not installed upside down is it? I've read a lot of threads on this here on FBBO. Search 'sending unit' or 'fuel gauge' etc and you should find a few.

Some sending units are better than others too. I can't recall the brand but there's company out of Canada that makes good tanks and sending units.

On My 67 Satellite I just bought, the gas gauge wouldn't work. I ran a jumper wire from the wire off the tank, right next to the fuel outlet line,to a good ground. That pegged the gauge on the dash so I knew that side was good, From the tank back. So problem was in the sending unit. Or the ground. The fuel line coming out of the tank MUST be grounded, or it wont work. I grounded mine, now it works.

Auto Transport Service
Back