• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauge swap 64 Dodge to Plymouth help?

Druid318

Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
I'm swapping the dead gauge cluster in my 64 Dodge 440 with a 64 Plymouth cluster. The dodge cluster is a single circuit board with 8 wires connected to it, the Plymouth has two circuit boards with 10 total wires. Most of the wires seem to match up on the wiring diagrams. Would someone be willing to take a look at the diagrams online and see if I wired this right?

On the wiring for the Plymouth cluster I combined the Black wire from connector 1 with the dark blue wire from connector 2 and connected them to the Black wire in my Dodge harness.

I combined the Orange wires from Plymouth connector 1 and 2 and connected them to the single orange wire in the Dodge harness that had been connected to the Dodge cluster before. While I was in the dash I found two additional orange wires in the same bundle that goes to the cluster, but they had been cut before, so I just taped them off.

The only other issue with the wiring I noticed is that the Tan wires are not the same color Tan. One looks brown, the other almost looks light purple. Since all the other wire colors match the diagrams I'm just chalking that up to being built in different plants I guess.

I took the car out for a drive already and it didn't catch fire. I'd just like someone to check my reading of the diagrams. I'm going off the wiring diagrams at MyMopar. http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=26

To prevent back feeding circuits between the regulator and accessories, I probably would have spliced a wire (black) from the ACC connection to the ign switch and connected it to CONN1-terminal 5 and used the black wire in the dodge harness that is connected to IGN switch1, connecting it to CONN2-terminal 5; which is a DK Blue wire on the plymouth schematic.
Orange is interior lighting and is already spliced in various spots, so no issue there.
Can't comment on colour variations, but checking function of the signal/park lights and the cluster should tell you if you connected the circuit properly.

Thanks for looking at that. The only issue I noted driving it around the block is that the oil pressure light was lit up and fuel appeared full. I know the fuel tank should be full or nearly full. The oil pressure light I have no idea, since the old cluster didn't work at all. Not sure if it's voltage feedback, bad sensor, or really has low pressure.

I think I'll redo that black/blue connection and see if that improves the situation.

A few photos

IMG_20200405_150125805.jpg IMG_20200328_185141255.jpg IMG_20200406_085628373.jpg IMG_20200406_085633303.jpg

I'm going to have to replace my pushbutton transmission bezel with the Plymouth version, as one screw doesn't line up. Mine was cracked around the screw holes so I'd planned on replacing that anyway. Pretty sure I need to replace the speedo cable as well, as that still isn't functioning.

Next up on the car will be upgrading the alternator, installing electronic ignition, and then likely a stereo in the glove box. Need to pick up a new glove box liner before I can get to that though.

Auto Transport Service
Back