• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauge swap

USatC

Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
how hard is it to switch from non-rally gauges to rally gauges in my 72 Satellite? Has anyone ever successfully done it?

I'm wondering the same thing for my 72 satellite. .i just restored the dash on my 72 charger so I know in order to get the dash out in one piece, you need to have the front windshield taken out. There are 4 bolts at the top of the dash that screw into the front windshield area. Then there is a nut on a stud on the left and right side of the lower part of the steel dash frame. You will also have to lower the steering column down away from the dash and remember to remove the fuse block bulkhead from the firewall. Also disconnect the vacuum lines from your heat/ac controls. Disconnect the radio antenna if you have that hooked up as well. it's not too bad of a job if your committed and stay at it

If you're taking the whole dash and frame out, you don't need to remove the windshield, that's how I took mine out.

I believe you will need a ralley dash frame, it is different then a standard dash frame and of course you will need the ralley dash gauges, the senders and the wiring. A little trick we did when we reinstalled the dash frame back in we reversed the bolt clips under the windshield (you will not see it because of the window installed) and cut the bolts down in size and installed the bolts from the bottom up, that way if you need to take the dash out again you will not need to remove the windshield

Last edited:
As mentioned, on ’71-74 B-bodies, removing the windshield to remove the full dash frame is NOT necessary. Dash frames are the same for Rallye vs standard clusters in ’71-74. Technically, the dash harness is different between the Rallye and Standard clusters, however the standard dash harness can be reworked to support the Rallye cluster.

I've found that the job is retardedly more aggravating if the windshield is not out. . Maybe I put more value on the hair left on my head. .just my two cents

I've found that the job is retardedly more aggravating if the windshield is not out. . Maybe I put more value on the hair left on my head. .just my two cents

Same can be said about removing it as well, especially, if you don't have the right tool(s) for the job. It can be done. What if you crack your windshield removing it for the dash? To each his/her own, remove it if you want.

You do not need to remove the dash, or the windshield, to swap out the gauge cluster! You just have to drop the steering column, disconnect the radio (if it's still installed), remove the mounting screws, and then ever so carefully drop the cluster without busting the damn tangs that hold the climate controls to it (I learned how brittle that plastic is the hard way!). Disconnect the headlight and wiper switches as you go, then the illumination lights, then the gauge connectors and the old unit is out. Make sure you mark each wire as you disconnect it so you know where it goes.

Next, get your Rallye cluster and start making connections. If the standard cluster wire is too short, splice in some wire to make it longer. Get everything hooked up again and slide the new cluster into the dash, raise the steering wheel, and you're done.

My windshields are usually pitted and crappy anyway so if I'm doing a dash job then I put new glass in, but I guess it just depends what's been done to the car already! I'd say the op has plenty of options to choose from

Just be aware. A lot of the aftermarket glass ISN'T as good as the original (Not as thick). Guess it depends on your condition of them and whether or not if it's feasable to replace or not

ok, has being done many times. You can make it in severaql ways.

You can get ANY rallye cluster you want from 71 to 74 but several stuff you need to know first to get the propper parts matching your 72 ( or whatever year you have )

-----2 kinds of cluster available with 3 diff setups:
-basic rallye with big gauge double meter at a side of the speedo, then two small individual meters on small openings ( 1st setup )
-more equipped rallye cluster with dual double meters on small openings. The big opening at a side of the speedo can get clock ( 2nd setup ) or tach ( 3rd setup )
-gauges, housing and lenses mask between these last are the same, but not the first one. Just speedo interchanges between them
-same about housing
-Lense mask changes allong with housing as mentioned
-bezel "is the same" ALTHOUGH 74s got an extra icons at a side of the lights and wiper switch, for international understanding. Bezels interchanges though
-A clock cluster can become into a Tach cluster just changing the gauge easilly. need to add the tach harness though

-----speedos changes allong the years, although interchanges. 3 ones as far I know ( aside Kilometers ones )
-150 miles with vertical slot red high beams pilot light ( tipically 71/72, some 73s ). Red color made with a tape
-120 miles with horizontal slot red high beams pilot light ( tipically 73 ). red color I THINK with a lense
-120 miles with horizontal slot and blue beams pilot light ( tipically 74 ). Blue color with a lense

-----AC/Heater controls... 71/72 diff from 73/74, aside the diff options on cars... but you will keep your existant one from the standard cluster. Will fit on the Rallye one

----- wiper switches
-Rallye and Standard get a diff one. Rallye are a way shorter shaft
-71 is diff from 72/74. Prongs disposition and plugs are diff between these. So will need to get a cluster with the propper switch for your car ( considering 2 or 3 speeds ), or get the switch separatelly. IT CAN BE INTERCHANGED though, if you consider and match the plugs. I did in fact installed a 71 variable switch the cluster I got included ( only year option for these so kept this featuring for my car ) into my 74 getting the plastic plugs from a 71 Coronet donor, since wiring is the same, just plugs/prongs changes
-Knob is diff too between standard and rallye, so the most complete you find, the better. These knobs are hard to come by since they EASILLY get lost
-Nut is diff too ( once again, the most complete cluster you get, the better )
NOTE... the standard cluster switch shaft switch CAN BE cut to the Rallye cluster size... I have done it with success...

----Headlight switch
-Swith itself is the same, BUT same as above not the knob or the nut ( once again, the most complete cluster you get, the better ) This knob is hard to get lost so TIPICALLY on a cluster including switches, THIS KNOB is also included

Last edited:
Now, about the wiring:

ALL YEARS are diff, HOWEVER

72 AND 73 are the closest ones... can get some wires turned around at bulkhead s need to check for a matching setup between engine side and cab side that before conect anything. Also 72s got more acc and equipment sources, due the hideaways options and some stuff more, but that's not a BIG problem. You can add anything if you need if you get a 73 harness to fit on your 72 if your 72 is more equipped ( of course, being plymouths didn't get hideaways then that's not a problem )

71... no seatbelt relay warning system so the seatbelt light is time delay flasher controled, diff driver side door jam switch plug, diff wiper plug setup ( as mentioned ), no NSS signal into the cab ( 72 and lates requires this signal )... several stuff makes diff with the rest.

74... WAAAAAY DIFF MONSTER in EVERYWAY you can imagine due the interlock seatbelt system. warning buzzer system is controled by the interlock seatbelt unit and just uses one buzzer ( single or dual ) to buzz the seatbelts, lights on and key in. Earliers got a diff buzzer to every function. Horn relay is diff to, although plugs the same, but earliers this gets the key in buzzer built in, so fuse boz gets the wire for it on earliers to, not 74s though

As mentioned, all years can get some wires turned around on bulkhead. 74s IS A FACT!, 71s and 72/73 could.

YOU CAN become your Standard harness into a rallye if you are handy with wiring and get the parts for the lighting, gauges plugs and whatever it comes for the conversion.

You can also make a mix of harnesses between standard and Rallye if you don't get the right 72 or 73 Rallye harness for your 72 ( I.E. if you get a 71 or 74 harness ) being handy

need to note, the voltage limiter is sourced from ACC in Rallye clusters, while is sourced from RUN ( Ign 1 ) on standards

ANY HARNESS WORKS PERFECT WITH ANY CLUSTER ( thinking on the correct wiper switch though, or simply matching the plug with the switch or backwards, wiring itself to switch is the same though )

MUST TO SAY this is NOT HARD TO DO... I'm just giving ALL THE INFO I have collected to make it easier to do matching everything at posible from the first time, and getting you aware about every diff I have found. I.E... if you want a correct 72 speedo, what you could find if get a 74 cluster... this doesn't mean won't work

Auto Transport Service
Back