• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauges went dead

mjb765

Local time
1:26 AM
Reaction score
Driving my 69 Bee home tonight the fuel, temp and oil pressure gauges suddenly went dead--looked like the key was off. Eng running, lights, directionals, tach and clock all working. Other than the plug to the cluster, where do I look??

Last edited:
Will need to check that, but I replaced that a year and a half ago with the new type...thought I was done with that....

Kiwi beat me too it. Although I think it effects the dash light too?

Will do that tomorrow, didn't know if there was a fuse for them. If that's blown it sounds like fun to figure out why.....

I don't recall the '69 cars anymore. They may not be fused but it won't hurt to start there. The gauge regulator is normally the culprit when they all stop working.

Somewhere between 66 and 71 the feed for instruments got moved to ignition vs accesory. Someone with a 69 should tell us if instruments originally worked with key in accessory position.
About 1984, I put a 5 volt regulator chip into a factory instument regulator, because the pulsing type made noise in weak FM signals. I don't think it ever had any problems, but just kept on working.
It did draw more current than the pulse type, but not enough to make any real difference.

My first thought would have been a fuse - especially since everything went at once....

Update-----I called Instrument Specialties today since they did the ammeter to voltmeter conversion in my cluster. I was told the voltmeter is getting power from the same wire that powers the gauges. The voltmeter still works which means the cluster is getting power so the most likely culprit is the voltage limiter. Won't have time to take it out to test for the next few days so I just ordered a new one and I will hope for the best.

Do you have a picture of this conversion? I would like to see what it looks like,

Found this pic

IMAG0623.jpg

Somewhere between 66 and 71 the feed for instruments got moved to ignition vs accesory. Someone with a 69 should tell us if instruments originally worked with key in accessory position.
About 1984, I put a 5 volt regulator chip into a factory instument regulator, because the pulsing type made noise in weak FM signals. I don't think it ever had any problems, but just kept on working.
It did draw more current than the pulse type, but not enough to make any real difference.

Since 71 rallye clusters got the VL sourced from acc Circuit however standard clusters still got from Run circuit

Dunno if earliers got this diff too

Voltage limiter in the dash fixed it

Thanks for all the suggestions

Auto Transport Service
Back