• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gear manufacturer recommendation 8.75" 489 pig

dsd1967

Local time
1:41 PM
Reaction score
What manufacturer would you guys recommend for gears for a 489 pig with a Detroit locker? I'm thinking the 373 range for a street car with very occasional strip duty. It's a 67 belvedere with a mini-tub, 650Hp/675Tq on the dyno...4 speed. Would be running drag radials, not slicks (don't have the tires yet).

I recall seeing threads on preferred manufacturers to use and stay away from, but couldn't dig them up.

Let me know your thoughts ......thanks

I run Motive 3:55's in my 489 CS, I have had zero problems with them. No howl whatsoever (of course in most cases that is dependent on setting them up correctly).

I would also look at using the crush sleeve eliminator, instead of the standard crush sleeve.

With 675 ft/lbs, 4sp, relatively heavy car, drag radials (which Monte Smith said were harder on driveline parts because they need to dead hook) I wouldn't spend ten cents on a 8 3/4. I would sell good parts I have before breaking them and invest in a Dana or 8 4/4.

33 IMP .....Yea ,I have a Strange S60 in the wings, but it needs narrowed. This unit is narrowed and ready to drop in. I figured I would start with this and eventually get the S60 narrowed. I like the idea of the 8.75 initially because of the ease of setting it up....I can play around with different ratios and see what I like on the street. I know if I beat on it that it may be short lived, but it really won't see a lot of abuse....and if so....I don't have too much in it anyway. If it survives....it never hurts to have a 8.75 hanging around.

Thanks for the feedback Bad Sport....I did plan on going with crush sleeve eliminator...was never a fan of the crush sleeve.

Dsd1967, I think you are looking at this the right way, and now I understand what you are trying to do.
I think I remember the guys that race 8 3/4 use motive gears.
I would pm Dvw and ask him what he would recommend. He just did new gears In his dana, and chose a specific brand, I just don't remember what.

I think you're going to have issues if it does hook. But - any manufacturer that has the gears you want will be as good as it gets. Talk to Cass (Dr DIff) about the crush sleeve eliminator... It will give you a little more time before it bends the case or twists an axle.

Auto Transport Service
Back