• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gear ratio ?

ultramag870

Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
I found some 8.75 center chunks today how can i tell what ratio they are if i count teeth in ring and pinion will that work? Or is there another way to tell

Since you have the center sections out, you can rotate the ring gear until you find the stamped area with the ratio marked on it.

Reminder, pinions and ring gears are matched sets. Don't separate!

divide the number of pinion teeth into the number of ring gear teeth to get the ratio.

it had 43 ring gear teeth and 13 pinion gear teeth..i come up with 330 and that didnt make sense to me so i thought id see what yall thought hopefully i counted right..lol

mopar didnt make a 330 gear did they and im not sure if they are suregrip either im gonna look more at them tomorrow and see if i can clean them to find stampings

It is sometimes faint and a little hard to see, but should be there if you look closely. Its on the outer edge of the ring gear.

would it say the ratio then suregrip on it?

No, it will have a stamp on the edge of the ring gear, with the number of pinion teeth, number of ring teeth, than radio.
Surgrip is the carrier itself not to do with the R&P, they could be open, surgrip, locker, spool etc.... Pics would help

Driven gear divided by drive gear. In your case 43 / 13 = 3.30. And yes, the factory never made that so go back and re count. I bet you have 42 / 13 = 3.23.

No, it will have a stamp on the edge of the ring gear, with the number of pinion teeth, number of ring teeth, than radio.
Surgrip is the carrier itself not to do with the R&P, they could be open, surgrip, locker, spool etc.... Pics would help

Here's a picture of what you are describing and the OP should look for.

Attachments

• Carrier_text_550.jpg
    Carrier_text_550.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,650
43/13 = 3.31 and can be found in the old 985 house I guess, same as 742.

Gear ratios available on the 8-3/4" axle through the years include:

2.76, 2.93, 3.23, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 3.91, 4.10, 4.56, 4.89, 5.17, 5.57.

Ok! I have a 4.43 = 31/7 in a 742 house

Attachments

• LP-Gear 2.jpg
    LP-Gear 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 161
  • LP-Gear 3.jpg
    LP-Gear 3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 176
Auto Transport Service
Back