• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gearvendors overdrive or Taller Gears

I'm installing a 2 speed power glide with a gear vendors overdrive behind my 543ci with 4.10. I'll let you know how it goes.
Powerglide with gear vendors . Its 7inches longer than a stock bb727
20200224_195437.jpg

I just wish the gear vendors was a little taller than the 22% over driven. .78 I think it is. Something closer to the .70 range would be more ideal I think. If you have 4.10 you’re wasting your money to do a 3.73, 3.55 or lower ie: 3.23 will be more noticeable.

I have 3.91 in one car that is going to get changed out to 3.23 soon. The Dana car I have is going to be left at 3.54.

I just wish the gear vendors was a little taller than the 22% over driven. .78 I think it is. Something closer to the .70 range would be more ideal I think. If you have 4.10 you’re wasting your money to do a 3.73, 3.55 or lower ie: 3.23 will be more noticeable.

I have 3.91 in one car that is going to get changed out to 3.23 soon. The Dana car I have is going to be left at 3.54.
I would agree that a .70 would work better for most applications for a cruising overdrive. I have one in use with a 3.73 gear and 28” tall tires. It cruises along nicely at 80mph.

I would agree that a .70 would work better for most applications for a cruising overdrive. I have one in use with a 3.73 gear and 28” tall tires. It cruises along nicely at 80mph.

Sooooo jealous of your car right now. My road runner with 3.91 and 27” tire is 3100Rpm at 60. I hate it.

Do you feel you could use more gear if you wanted to, ie: 3.91 with the gear vendor or is 3.73 the sweet spot?

Sooooo jealous of your car right now. My road runner with 3.91 and 27” tire is 3100Rpm at 60. I hate it.

Do you feel you could use more gear if you wanted to, ie: 3.91 with the gear vendor or is 3.73 the sweet spot?
Not in my situation. The more torque you produce, the less gear you really need. I haven’t driven anything under 600ft/lbs in years. The turbo combo in it now could really use a 3.55 or possibly even a 3.23 but I’ll probably leave the 3.73 as it helps at the 1/8 mile tracks and use the Holley EFI to shift into OD in the 1/4 mile

Depending on your driving habits and trans the solution can be a pain. Dont know your power level but my fix was a 833OD with a .71:1 4th gear, 3.23:1gear and 27" tire. Motor turns 2000 at 70 mpr. Just a recomamendation.

PS: I use a Clutch Tamer for times you get the itch to protect the weaker trans.
I have been singing the praises of the Clutch Tamer and HitMaster launch control systems, although I'm still waiting to get mine installed.
I already wanted the Clutch Tamer to address launch traction problems, and I have a heavy pressure plate, and I like the flexibility of the HitMaster, so I got a hydraulic throwout bearing, thinking it may make my 2,900# pressure plate a little easier to live with, given that there is some room to change the angle of the actuator rod, which I have read can make operating the clutch easier.
I'm so convinced that the concept behind both launch control systems is going to make a significant improvement at the launch, that I got a 2nd hydraulic throwout bearing for when the GTO gets the TKO600 in a box in our garage installed in the car.
So...after all that, relate to me your experience with the Clutch Tamer please!!

I installed a GV in one of my cars and I would do it again. It is 22% overdrive, but you can't break it, never!!!! It does cost around 3 thousand...........

Auto Transport Service
Back