• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen III Hemi crate

Nothing cheap for a mopar. Are you trying to get a new gen. motor or the original Hemi. Had to really search for a 383 block not bored. Found it on E bay. 400 dollars for just a bare block. Plus shipping.

Nothing cheap for a mopar. Are you trying to get a new gen. motor or the original Hemi. Had to really search for a 383 block not bored. Found it on E bay. 400 dollars for just a bare block. Plus shipping.
True. Looking for a Gen III, either a 5.7 or 392.

I bought my 5.7 from Jegs, they were the cheapest I found. Modern Muscle lists a 6.4 (392) for $8k but what they don't tell you is that they have to build your engine once you pay for it. I called and talked to them, I was not impressed.

I was really looking for a 6.4 but in the end just could not reconcile the cost difference between the 5.7 and the 6.4 for what I am doing. I chose to go with a 5.7 crate engine for around $6K and then bought a 392 (6.4) cam and springs which will yield about 60HP more. I am not looking for big HP, I am looking for reliability and drivability and I think that anything over 400HP will do just fine. I could also pro charge it and get over 500hp but then start to risking breaking things I think.

I had this PM’d to me, doesn’t come with the alternator kit, power steering pump kit or A/C kit if I want it.

47F58383-B7A5-4EA8-BAE9-5A77DEAF60C5.jpeg

Skip to the 6.2 or 6.4 you get a forged bottom end and hte difrent compared to cost of 5.7 is minimal. THe 5.7 is just not worth wasting your time with.

Yeah everyone said that same thing when I was pondering which way to go and after doing the research, going 6.4 over 5.7 was $2-3K difference. But I guess price is relative to the depth of your pockets and what you are looking for.

Yeah everyone said that same thing when I was pondering which way to go and after doing the research, going 6.4 over 5.7 was $2-3K difference. But I guess price is relative to the depth of your pockets and what you are looking for.
Keep looking you can get a good deal if your patient. THe 6.2 and 6.4 have enough goodies in the bottom end to make a big difference. the 5.7 is a dog.

Have to disagree, the 5.7 in my 2010 Challenger and 2014 Ram are definitely not dogs. I guess it depends on what your intentions or desires are, if you are looking for big HP then sure, go with the 6.1, 6.2 or 6.4 but for a street car/driver, the 5.7 does well. In crate form the 5.7 delivers 375-390 HP whereas the 6.4 is 425; an easy cam swap and headers on the 5.7 and you are right there. Sure you could do the cam swap and headers on the 6.4 and get more HP but it is all about value per dollar and IMO the 5.7 has more of that.

Have to disagree, the 5.7 in my 2010 Challenger and 2014 Ram are definitely not dogs. I guess it depends on what your intentions or desires are, if you are looking for big HP then sure, go with the 6.1, 6.2 or 6.4 but for a street car/driver, the 5.7 does well. In crate form the 5.7 delivers 375-390 HP whereas the 6.4 is 425; an easy cam swap and headers on the 5.7 and you are right there. Sure you could do the cam swap and headers on the 6.4 and get more HP but it is all about value per dollar and IMO the 5.7 has more of that.
The horse power differenc eis not the issue, the 6.1, 6.2 and 6.4 share a far better bottom end. Come to my shop ill show you the difference. its major 5.7 is all cast bottom and iling is inferior as well

I don't doubt what you are saying but "better" is not necessarily needed unless you are looking for high RPM and at 2-3K price difference in a street car that probably will never see 7K its overkill. I have run my 10 Challenger up to 145 mph on numerous occasions and it has yet to spit a bearing or anything else so I think I am good. "Better" is a relative term related to how it will be used IMO.

This is the same argument used in the Viper world concerning the various generations. The G2 Vipers had cast internals whereas the G1 and G3+ (I think) had forged internals. There is always a debate about this and granted the forged internals are better but for a street driven car or even a one that is mildly beat on, the cast hold up well. Sure if you are going to run a supercharger and run it up to 8000+ rpm you would want forged internals, but short of that the price is not worth the reward.

Keep looking you can get a good deal if your patient. THe 6.2 and 6.4 have enough goodies in the bottom end to make a big difference. the 5.7 is a dog.

Last I checked the 6.4 uses powdered metal rods and hypereutectic pistons... so aside from the crank you're not getting anything more "forged" than the 5.7... I find 5.7L blocks for $100-$500 all around - drop in a true forged rotating assembly and you're only at half the cost of a 6.4 with way more potential... and the same displacement... The 6.2 is well over $12,000 used so... also not sure why you continually say the 5.7 is a "dog" -- I have one in my Challenger R/T and it is quite peppy

Auto Transport Service
Back