• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen III Swaps, Speciality Parts are Easier

One of my "projects" (i.e. "I'll get to it....maybe...someday") is putting a 2005 5.7 into my '72 Satellite wagon.

I had a 2005 Magnum R/T (I like wagons...) that I bought new. 36k miles, it was T-boned and totaled. Ran and drove fine, but the passenger B-post was pushed 4" towards the center of the car ("No, I swear I stopped for the stop sign!" Riiiiighhttttt.....). I bought the car back from insurance, and stripped it. I have the engine, the NAG1, all harnesses, all computers, gas pedal, everything. I keep an eye on the market for things like street-rod harnesses and stuff for the OEM EFI, and there's starting to be some decent choices out there. There's also starting to be some standalone electronic packages that will work with the harnesses and the OEM EFI and the OEM throttle-by-wire. I haven't seen much for the trans, so I'll likely keep the A727 for that reason, plus I don't want to cut the tunnel.

The big thing with the computers is, you used to have to have an OEM computer and have it re-flashed to delete things like wheelspeed sensors, security system, traction control, etc. And, using the OEM computer, you had to use the OEM harness (which, if you were bored and had patience, you could disassemble and strip out unneeded circuits to have a bare-minimum harness). Now, though, there are some standalone computers and "street rod" harnesses that are designed for low-visual-impact installation.

I have mounts that use the stock K-frame, I got them at Carlisle a few years ago. Milodon and others make mid-sump pans and pickups to work with the stock K frame. There are front accessory drives out there, but some sort of adaptation is required in order to use a correct power steering pump for the old racks - some sort of pressure difference between new pumps, and old racks. And I think an adaptor plate or spacer is required to fit up an A727 to the GenIII...but they're out there as well.

There's no all-encompassing "kit" yet, that I know of...but it looks like all the parts are out there if you look around. Holley is the closest to having a "kit", they at least have most of the items listed on their one website - mounts, wiring, computers, exhaust, and pan kits.

I'm hoping my new '70 Charger will satisfy my "old green Mopar" fix, and I won't mind so much if the wagon is disassembled for a while, for construction...

Auto Transport Service
Back