• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good bye Firebird Drag Strip!

I've got a friend in Wittmann. I'm hoping he'll get his car out to Firebird before it closes, and I get to see it. A small tire Malibu with a turboed stroker ls, on E85. His KB solid block procharged Avenger big tire car won't be ready.
There are drags scheduled into June. I hope to get out there at least 1 more time

It's been so long since they closed Beeline Dragway I cant remember. But is still wide open space. I spent a lot of Friday, Saturday nights racing there. No homes near by , and it still closed. Beeline was at the far east of scottsdale ,Phx area.

It's been so long since they closed Beeline Dragway I cant remember. But is still wide open space. I spent a lot of Friday, Saturday nights racing there. No homes near by , and it still closed. Beeline was at the far east of scottsdale ,Phx area.
The finally tore the Beeline Dragway tower down a couple years ago. It was covered in graffiti or they may have let it fall on its own.

The finally tore the Beeline Dragway tower down a couple years ago. It was covered in graffiti or they may have let it fall on its own.
I guess at the end of the day and way into the night, STREET RACING will emerge like never before. They will find ways to get around all the watchful eyes.
Another hidden truth is that so many are losing interest because of the costs of things and travel. It used to be cheap to run and have fun in the heat, now it's as if it's a second job with no benefits. Bummer.

Heard some words that casa grande is going to build a theme park. So maybe another track will be part of it. But not holding my breath.

Houston Raceway Park is closing after today. They are having some Truck Shootout and last night was the last "Street Night". I saw people were waiting 2 hours in tech over 5 hours just to make a pass. They had the last Spring Nationals last year because they thought they may close the track before this year.

We once had 26-28 (IIRC) tracks all up & down Calif.
many of the places, still have nothing built there
IIRC we have 7 (?) now, soon to be 6 (?),
Infinity/Sears Point, Sac. (not for long), Redding, Famoso, Irwindale,
Ramona (edited; Barona)
if the Fontana dragstrip is now supposedly going to close
(edited; is closed)

I was at the last race at
Riverside, Ontario International Motor Speedway, Bayland/Fremont
Vacavalley, Lions, Long Beach, Lodi/Kingdon, Oroville, LA Co. Raceway
(maybe more)
either with one of my own cars or my stepfather's, when I was younger...

Drag Racing & it's tracks suffer the most
people move in by knowing there's a track nearby
& bitch or moan about the noise or traffic
like people buying near an airport

eco-NAZI nonsense isn't helping either

Last edited:
Fontana HAS closed, last year. (And I think you mean Barona). I have raced at more tracks that are gone, than there are left.

Fontana HAS closed, last year. (And I think you mean Barona). I have raced at more tracks that are gone, than there are left.
:thumbsup: I didn't realize it closed already :BangHead:
I do remember reading it was going to
I didn't think it was that long ago... Oh well...

:luvplace:

They didnt waste any time at Baytown. Last races were Saturday afternoon.
_nc_ohc=HCPRUO6eqVIAX8a5rMV&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.jpg

We once had 26-28 (IIRC) tracks all up & down Calif.
many of the places, still have nothing built there
IIRC we have 7 (?) now, soon to be 6 (?),
Infinity/Sears Point, Sac. (not for long), Redding, Famoso, Irwindale,
Ramona (edited; Barona)
if the Fontana dragstrip is now supposedly going to close
(edited; is closed)

I was at the last race at
Riverside, Ontario International Motor Speedway, Bayland/Fremont
Vacavalley, Lions, Long Beach, Lodi/Kingdon, Oroville, LA Co. Raceway
(maybe more)
either with one of my own cars or my stepfather's, when I was younger...

Drag Racing & it's tracks suffer the most
people move in by knowing there's a track nearby
& bitch or moan about the noise or traffic
like people buying near an airport

eco-NAZI nonsense isn't helping either
**** I forgot Pomona, so 8... oh well

This turned into a pretty dismal thread. Wow

Just back from the Winters at pomona. Pomona only half counts, imo, cause Joe Average cant race there.
And this last race? Credit card ONLY for parking, and no more National Dragster handouts, (ten bucks now, at the museum only).
I got free tickets and hospitality tent for this past race, and I still might not ever go again.
Walking from a mile away to avoid giving the fuckers my cc info gets old.

Just back from the Winters at pomona. Pomona only half counts, imo, cause Joe Average cant race there.
And this last race? Credit card ONLY for parking, and no more National Dragster handouts, (ten bucks now, at the museum only).
I got free tickets and hospitality tent for this past race, and I still might not ever go again.
Walking from a mile away to avoid giving the fuckers my cc info gets old.
Yes. there is all that. I won’t do Pomona again.

Yes. there is all that. I won’t do Pomona again.
Yeah, but Pomona is 10 minutes from my house, even if I get stopped by the red lights.
I still hold a grudge against the nhra for selling out their little guy racers. We had a street legal program that was doing very well. Nhra killed it because of noise complaints, and wanting to run a 50th anniversary show in addition to the two shows they were permitted. So....
Goodbye little guy racing at pomona. Suck it up suckers..... but keep coming to our big races, please.
I did not spend one thin dime this past weekend at the Winters.

…so is Pomona still open for the the Pro cars, just not brackets, etc? I’ve read some conflicting reports.

Pomona is open, twice a year, for two national events only. IF you have a legal, nationally, or sufficiently divisionally raced car, you can use the track. (I believe a racer has to race a few divisional races before je can even enter a national event).
Otherwise......nope.
There IS another event scheduled later this year, but I don't know how much racing there will be. 75th anniversary of In-n-out, who is now a sponsor of the track. (this year only?).

Yeah, but Pomona is 10 minutes from my house, even if I get stopped by the red lights.
I still hold a grudge against the nhra for selling out their little guy racers. We had a street legal program that was doing very well. Nhra killed it because of noise complaints, and wanting to run a 50th anniversary show in addition to the two shows they were permitted. So....
Goodbye little guy racing at pomona. Suck it up suckers..... but keep coming to our big races, please.
I did not spend one thin dime this past weekend at the Winters.
Maybe if we had more legal little guy tracks and some more clubs kids would have a place to **** off at and not in the streets.

Auto Transport Service
Back