• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good portable sandblaster?

nowmopardave

Local time
1:13 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone got a recommedation for a portable sanblaster that works well?
I don't have room in my garage for a sandblast cabinet.
Just looking to do small parts (exhaust manifolds, etc).
I've heard that the bucket type blasters don't work that well.

Thanks

Get a small Harbor Freight unit, they are pressure types, and work well, watch out for moisture in the 'mix', ensure you have dry air coming to the pot, or, your sand will clog ALL the time! About $150.00 bucks. I had one I bought 10 yrs ago, and used the crap out of it till I bought my media blasting system.

I've got 1 from HF, works really well, but you gotta use dry air and dry media for it to NOT get clogged.

I've got 1 from HF, works really well, but you gotta use dry air and dry media for it to NOT get clogged.

x2 on this. I have one and though I have not done this (yet) I had heard if you change out the smallish ball valve for a bigger one and upsize the associated plumbing, they work a damn site better.

True on that, however, if you go bigger in valving, even by just 1/4 inch, be prepared to have less volume, and air pressure, and easier clogging despite your efforts to alleviate this. The key in this is AIR, lots of it, and no water. I've been down this road before, and decided to get the big system which I have now. Good luck!

I get 50 lb. bags of sand from Home depot, Lowes, or Osh, dry from the start and now with the deadman valve this thing rocks. The ball valves don't last too long so get a deadman valve.

I've got the bucket type sand blaster and I suck up the sand from the bag into my shop vac to dry it out then dump the sand from the vac through a small holed pasta/vegetable strainer to get the larger rocks out and then I don't really have a problem with it. I have more of a problem with my small blast cabinet than I do with the bucket blaster. Of course, the blast cabinet does keep the sand all in one place.

I get 50 lb. bags of sand from Home depot, Lowes, or Osh, dry from the start and now with the deadman valve this thing rocks. The ball valves don't last too long so get a deadman valve.

It has a deadman, the ball valve is at the bottom of the tank. Total agreement with bagged sand as well.

My cabinet has ALWAYS had trouble with moisture down here in Florida........you MUST use a Pro water trap and filter system........low buck traps just will not work......

...But man, when your media is dry, it works GREAT.......NO mess, NO cleanup, NO dust, and PERFECT parts.

All in all, if you get a GOOD water trap system for your air feed, you'll NEVER regret getting a small cabinet. :no:

Auto Transport Service
Back