• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD Good Running 1971 440 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTX Dave

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
This engine was in a 1967 GTX running & driving two years ago. A fellow member on here had purchased the car locally and drove it for about a year and then pulled the engine to restore the car. I was considering putting it in my GTX but I’ve decided I’m going to hold out for a correctly dated block. This engine was rebuilt by Justin Haines in PA. It is bored .060 over and was decked. Car owner had an assembly sheet from Justin on it but I didn’t get it. It said it has a forged crank internally balanced, OE rods with good bolts, It has a mild but decent hydraulic cam, runs fine on pump gas, has an Edelbrock CH4B intake with a Demon carb & Holley fuel pump. Engine casting date is 5/20/70 and the upper pad was cleaned off and is now stamped with large font “440 HP 060” (NOT OE STAMPING). There is an electronic distributor and good coil on it. The water pump & hsg are aluminum 440 Source pieces. The mint dual snorkel air cleaner is also included. NOTE: The headers, bell housing, flywheel & starter DO NOT come with it. It has been sitting under the bench covered up for the last two years, I pulled it out, put fresh oil & filter in it, primed it and fired it up last Saturday. It is currently on the run stand so buyer can hear & see it run. It starts right up, runs great, has 75psi oil pressure and doesn’t smoke. I’m happy to start it, warm it up & let it run, rev it up, whatever. We can put it in the back of your truck while it’s still warm. No secrets or stories! $5500 firm. Engine is located in Rockville Maryland.
UPDATE: SHORT VIDEO ADDED BELOW
PM with any questions. I dont get notifications but I do check a few times a day so please be patient if I dont answer instantly.
Thanks FBBO!

UPDATE: Previous owner found the sheet from the build. Engine is 10.2-1 compression and cam is an old Crane Powermax HFT 302/312 504/528 112*LSA

IMG_20240228_172043313.jpg

IMG_20240228_172111129.jpg

IMG_20240228_172138443.jpg

IMG_20240228_172128958.jpg

IMG_20240228_172053819_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I take it is stamped g440? Is it hp or hp2 stamped? And, what is the vin?

Do you know what Cam is in it?
I do not. I saw the build sheet years ago when the car was purchased but I can't recall the specs. Sorry. When I get time again, I'll get a video of it running and you can hear, it's not radical but not stock either.

I take it is stamped g440? Is it hp or hp2 stamped? And, what is the vin?
As stated above, The top pad has been machined. It was restamped with an incorrect font and no letter pre-fix.
I'll check the VIN tomorrow morning

Last edited:
VIN pad reads 1G138882
I apologize, I really thought a May casting would have been used in a June or July 1970 build.
I have changed the thread title accordingly/

IMG_20240229_062045084.jpg

here is a quick video of a cold start and run for a minute to show oil pressure, no smoke and hear the cam.

Engine sounds great. But I do have a different question: I'd love to know the brand of header you have there on your test stand? I need a set exactly like that for a project I have.

Engine sounds great. But I do have a different question: I'd love to know the brand of header you have there on your test stand? I need a set exactly like that for a project I have.
Those are "dyno headers" from Schoenfeld. Might also be under Sprint Car headers on their website. Real nice step header for sure! They will even make them to your spec tube size.

Man, I wish you were closer, this thing sounds great! Good luck with the sale.

Do you know what Cam is in it?
Previous owner found the sheet he had on it. Cam is a Crane Powermax 504/528 302/312 112*LSA
Updating initial description now with other info as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back