• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good tire size to use on 17 x 8 wheels for early B-body?

Rolling Thunder

Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
Anyone running 17 inch wheels on early b-body? I have a set of 17 x 8 cragars with 4 inch backspace I'd like to use on one of my cars. Any tire size recommendations? Stock rearend and stock wheelhouses. Thanks.

This is a valuable and useful website showing the tire/wheel and how you can change the dynamics of the sizes/backspacing etc. and see the differences!

255/55 is what they used on the 94-96 Impala SS, seems like a good starting point. In my research I've found that sport truck tires tend to have the sidewall we want, ie: 50, 55, 60 aspect ratio. Anything less than a 50 or 55 series sidewall looks too low profile. That's obviously just my personal opinion, but if you want a 28 or 29" diameter tire for a 17+" rim, the sport truck section is the place to look.

Where can I find the specs for the stock wheels that would have come on my '66 Satellite? I've done some google searches and found some contradicting claims. Who to believe?

IMG_1383.jpgIMG_1384.jpgIMG_1385.jpg

I am running 225/55/r17 BFG Sport Comps same size all around
I did nothing to the stock wheel well areas. I do have an AlterKtion though and the clearance is VERY close on some turns , at the frontmost lower fender opening right near the brace rod.

275/40/17 for the rear.

Auto Transport Service
Back