• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPS Tracker, anybody install in there cars?

aHeavy D

Local time
9:21 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if you are using GPS tracker as I see lot of classic cars stolen. or what else you might be using against theft or to track after theft. I know a lot of people don't leave thier car, but If you want to travel to long distance car shows or mini vacations. it's mostly for when your parked at a hotel or visiting somewhere.
If your using a GPS tracker, What are you using and do you like it? Is it wired in or battery operated?
I know there is spelled wrong, I posted before reading and can not correct the header

Just started using one last year. Amcrest AM-GL300W-4G. Text and email alerts, battery holds a 10-14 day charge. You can activate and freeze the account as needed as well as the frequency of the position updates. Customize your zones for entry/exit notifications. Easily hidden with magnetic hard case.

I drive my classic cars a lot without using any "anti theft" or "tracking" stuff and just park them on the street or public lots.
So far nobody stole one of my cars. If its a mid 60s or earlier car there is not much you can do since they are very easy to steal without steering column lock.
I could pick up a (here in germany very popular) 65 mustang with a jumper wire, wire loop and a coin assuming the battery is good.

Own a 4 speed. Best theft deterrent for our cars there is. :thumbsup:

We need trackers. 4-speeds don't stop a tow truck. I've been wondering about this myself. Kill switch helps. Club helps. 4-speed helps. GPS tracker is the best in my opinion. I'm not locking my doors... steal the cheap stereo, don't break the window to get in, ya' know?

We need trackers. 4-speeds don't stop a tow truck. I've been wondering about this myself. Kill switch helps. Club helps. 4-speed helps. GPS tracker is the best in my opinion. I'm not locking my doors... steal the cheap stereo, don't break the window to get in, ya' know?
Agreed. If the car is gone you would otherwise have no idea where it ended up. With the tracker at least you would know where it is in real time.

I have a LoJack installed in one of my cars. Luckily, never had to find out (so far) how well it works.

My wife just bought an Apple AirTag. You can throw that thing in just about anything and you can see where it is (as long as you own an Apple iPhone to track it). I plan to use that in my 73 so she can see where I am in the world when I go on my trip across country.

Just started using one last year. Amcrest AM-GL300W-4G. Text and email alerts, battery holds a 10-14 day charge. You can activate and freeze the account as needed as well as the frequency of the position updates. Customize your zones for entry/exit notifications. Easily hidden with magnetic hard case.

Thank you....

53 bucks... that's hard to beat.

It's still small enough to stash out of sight, does it transmit through the heavy Guage steel well enough?

I'm thinking under the spare tire would be a place not checked.

Thank you....

53 bucks... that's hard to beat.

It's still small enough to stash out of sight, does it transmit through the heavy Guage steel well enough?

I'm thinking under the spare tire would be a place not checked.
Yes, very concealable and even in the hard case in an enclosed area it transmits with no issues. What's also nice is that if I'm out of town the wife can get the same info and alerts from home on her phone in case there's a problem.

I use this one on all my important stuff, car trailer, truck, cars when not locked up in my yard.
Spark Nano 7 Micro GPS Tracking Device (brickhousesecurity.com)
Has a magnet, really small, can stick about anywhere.

I also use the Progression Ignition security lock on the Plymouth when I'm staying over night at a hotel, or at a car show. There have been a couple cars taken right out of shows I read about. Scumbags.

I use this one on all my important stuff, car trailer, truck, cars when not locked up in my yard.
Spark Nano 7 Micro GPS Tracking Device (brickhousesecurity.com)
Has a magnet, really small, can stick about anywhere.

I also use the Progression Ignition security lock on the Plymouth when I'm staying over night at a hotel, or at a car show. There have been a couple cars taken right out of shows I read about. Scumbags.

Ive been looking at a few options over the past 12 hours - and all things considered even at 20 bucks a month for a service fee, this really is a good option to me. Even for piece of mind since at times I have to store my car away from my property. I will just have to remember to go charge the product every few weeks during the winter.

Tell me about the progression ignition security lock - I went to their site and see a bunch of tunability with the distributor system. Is there a "no-spark/start" type function you can program into what they have or do they have something seperate?

As a neophyte to these things, seems to me the monthly service/subscription for monitoring
is the real cost involved with them, true?

As a neophyte to these things, seems to me the monthly service/subscription for monitoring
is the real cost involved with them, true?

Without owning one, but reading up on them the past day - yeah....the device is 25-75 bucks depending. Compatible with smart phones for tracking - but you are definitely paying for the monthly fee. Which seems to be 20-25 bucks depending on the system.

I was thinking about installing this one in the '62. I've had it so long I don't even remember where I got it.
20220225_122518.jpg

20220225_122708.jpg

Ive been looking at a few options over the past 12 hours - and all things considered even at 20 bucks a month for a service fee, this really is a good option to me. Even for piece of mind since at times I have to store my car away from my property. I will just have to remember to go charge the product every few weeks during the winter.

Tell me about the progression ignition security lock - I went to their site and see a bunch of tunability with the distributor system. Is there a "no-spark/start" type function you can program into what they have or do they have something seperate?

I never need the GPS for more than a couple days while traveling. I did buy the extended life battery, which is an add on waterproof box with a big battery and high load magnet. It will last for 4 or more months in stationary mode.
The Progression Ignition distributor has a kill feature, really simple to use, that will at least prevent a driveaway thief. Everything on the PI distributor is done through your smart phone. Really a nice product.

I have an alarm on the '59 pickup. Have it attached to the tailgate and the bed cover. Gives me a bit of piece of mind. I've driven it over 60,000 miles all over the country. I was told that I couldn't hide the gps sensor on it because it's completely metal....dash and all. IDK. I do have a kill switch that I never use.
But, the Apple tag is an interesting idea. Maybe Android has one?

Without owning one, but reading up on them the past day - yeah....the device is 25-75 bucks depending. Compatible with smart phones for tracking - but you are definitely paying for the monthly fee. Which seems to be 20-25 bucks depending on the system.
I am actually not a fan of Apple products - I actually have an Android based phone. But if you have an Apple iPhone I believe the Apple AirTag only has a cost for the tag itself. There are no monthly fees. That's much better as I hate all the recurring fees we get locked into.

I never need the GPS for more than a couple days while traveling. I did buy the extended life battery, which is an add on waterproof box with a big battery and high load magnet. It will last for 4 or more months in stationary mode.
The Progression Ignition distributor has a kill feature, really simple to use, that will at least prevent a driveaway thief. Everything on the PI distributor is done through your smart phone. Really a nice product.

Good to know about the additional battery range - since my 66 may not be stored with me all winter long, gives me a little piece of mind from time to time. I willb e ordering one this weekend for sure.

I too am not an Apple guy, but those airtags definitely have my attention.

Auto Transport Service
Back