• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grant Steering Wheel Adapter Eats Turn Signal Switches

TN Mopar

Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
I am having a problem with the adapter for my Grant Steering Wheel eating my Turn signal switches. The adapter horn ring wears out where the horn wheel contacts the copper service
in a matter of a few weeks the little wheel will wear through the conductive service of the horn ring and eventual short out.

I have replaced the adapter kit twice and I just put the 3rd turn signal switch in the car

I first thought it was cheap switches so this time I bought and put in an NOS Mopar Switch. But not wanting to tear up a good switch I paid very close attention to the reassembly of the adapter kit and it appears that the adapter kit goes in too deep, forces the horn contact wheel to bottom out and puts too much pressure on the contact disc wearing it out. I considered shimming the contact disc out but then the cancel pin doesn't contact the TS cam correctly.

I am using a Grant Classic 15" Wheel, a #4310 adapter kit, and it's on my 66 Charger

For now I had to go back to a rather ugly factory wheel
I am hoping someone on here might have run into this and possibly has a solution

Attempts to contact Grant Tech support were useless
Apparently the 1 guy that does tech support is on vacation

IMG_20210829_183205617.jpg

Last edited:
Had the same problem. Fix is simple. Go to your local Radio Shack and buy a plate of PCB (printed circuit board) cut it to the same shape as the existing plate and install it.

Look very closely at the roller wheel and its freedom to move as well as the direction its facing. It has to be able to freely roll against the plate. Also, mine had a spacer on the column to space everything correctly so the hub wouldn't rub etc. The "Grant" spacer was about 1/8 to short so the collar rubbed the column AND there was also too much pressure on the roller wheel.

You can see the copper shavings in the photo

IMG_0826 (2016_11_22 02_37_15 UTC).JPG

Last edited:
I have gotten Grant horn kits before.Some come with the spacer and some didn't. Quality control ?
Grant makes a nice wheel but they have crummy horn kits. I have started using dielectric grease on the wheel and contact ring.

I have gotten Grant horn kits before.Some come with the spacer and some didn't. Quality control ?
Grant makes a nice wheel but they have crummy horn kits. I have started using dielectric grease on the wheel and contact ring.

I put dielectric grease on the last one
it didnt help much
The hub goes too deep
none of the kits I have used has had a spacer in it
I have considered making one

Here's a pic of the PCB material. Its copper coated on both sides so if down the road it wears off again you can just flip it over. If you need a piece I can cut a send you a piece.
IMG_3969[1].JPG

Here's a pic of the PCB material. Its copper coated on both sides so if down the road it wears off again you can just flip it over. If you need a piece I can cut a send you a piece.View attachment 1160742

what thickness is this board?
I can get some from amazon but there are way to many Thickness listed.
also what did you use to cut the board?

Thickness is around 1/16" ... same as the original or pretty close to it. I cut the center hole with a hole saw and the outer circle with a bandsaw. You could do it by hand with a coping saw. You could probably do it all with a dremel too but these are fiberglas boards and the dust would be everywhere.

I had the same with the Grant steering adapter.
Also figured it must be sitting to "deep" on the column, i added a teflon bushing that fitted exactly inside the adapter and acts as a nut stopper.
The adapter goes on far enough on the spline but the spacer does not allow me to drive it in all the way.
Not sure yet if it helps, i have been driving it now for some time and so far so good.

The next time i will be looking for another brand for sure though.

Well the grant is no different than the stock unit other than the depth it sits at. Solve that issue and it should last.

Auto Transport Service
Back