• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

greaseable pivot shafts

71RRHI

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:52 PM
Reaction score
I'm just finishing up rebuilding the front suspension on my 67 Coronet. I installed the greaseable lower control arm pivot shaft and Poly bushings from PST. I think you're supposed to use a silicone-based grease on Poly bushings. What type of grease is everyone using on the greaseable pivot shafts? Can you the same grease on the upper and lower ball joints, and tie road ends as the pivot shafts?

I used the same ones (or style) by Hotchkis. I did a fair amount research and used this:
Amazon product ASIN B004JMEC0E
It is not cheap and apparently I paid too much, but the car drives great. It says it's red but mine was clear/transparent.

I used the same ones (or style) by Hotchkis. I did a fair amount research and used this:
Amazon product ASIN B004JMEC0E
It is not cheap and apparently I paid too much, but the car drives great. It says it's red but mine was clear/transparent.
Thanks, do you use it on just the pivot shafts or all the front suspension lube points

I only used it on those. I either read somewhere or someone mentioned that poly there and rubber everywhere else helps the old slam bang when going over potholes. I’m sure that’s not a prescribed solution, but all new rubber, poly at pivots, and bilsteins from pst and it feels like a better car. Never remember them driving like this.

I would use different grease on the pivots to the ball joints etc. Some greases will attack the plastic.
I use a Valvoline product for that.
I use old style Alvania 3 for ball joints etc. Got plenty of tubes of it.
I have those greaseable pivots and plastic bushes but I do not believe they need much greasing - provide they are well lubed at assembly.

@PST

James,
What grease would you recommend for the greasable pivot shafts with poly bushings? And can you use the same grease on the upper/lower ball joints and tie rod ends? All installed new from PST.

20230226_133703.jpg

Regular wheelbearing/chassis grease for the joints..

View attachment 1424775
Regular wheelbearing/chassis grease for the joints..
Thanks, used the little packet of silicone grease on the bushing and shaft that came in the kit to assemble. Greaseable pivot shafts have a zerk fitting, so you grease them for maintenance along with the rest of the front suspension. What I'm wondering is there a type of grease that can be used on all points of the front suspension so I don't have to use two different types of grease.

@PST

James,
What grease would you recommend for the greasable pivot shafts with poly bushings? And can you use the same grease on the upper/lower ball joints and tie rod ends? All installed new from PST.

High Pressure Molly grease or Silicone based grease should be sufficient.

Thanks
James From
PST

Auto Transport Service
Back