• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Lynch Rd. Footage in Documentary

1972 Coronet

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
I just watched "MC5 : a True Testimonial" ( 2002 ) , which is a documentary about Detroit's ( Lincoln Park , actually ) late 60's Garage-Punk band ( think : "Kick Out the Jams" , 1968 ) the MC5 .

In said doc , there's GREAT footage of then-new '68 Road Runners and GTX's being built at the Lynch Rd. plant !!
There's also footage of Dearborn and other Detroit-area plants !!
Ostensibly , this is vintage late 60's footage .

So , even if you're not an MC5 fan ( although , you should be !! ) , it's worth checking out .
One of their guitarists is driving around in his '66 or '67 GTO ! ( I know , not a MoPar ... but one must admire his enthusiasm and love of American Muscle ! ) .

I'll have to look for that;and I'm a fan of the "5". Love "Rocket Reducer #61(#-?)" as well. Saw them at Sherwood Forest at one of their old Wild Wednesday venues. Or maybe it was a "Super Saturday" Hey,there were a lot of "influences" and "substances" at these things,and me,being a naive,impressionable youth,uhh...tried a few...

Kinda "dating" yourself there Al! Or maybe "carbon-dating"! Haha! Were you at the Grande Ballroom too? A bit before my time, but I have heard about the old days in Detroit from the graybeards I ride with. Sounds like a really special time. Thanks for the link Coronet!

I wish I was old enough to have seen them live at the Gran-de back in the day ; I'm only 40 .

I got turned on to the MC5 ( as well as the Stooges , Velvet Underground , etc. , etc. ) back in high school ( c.1985 ) , and I haven't looked back !

Rocket Reducer No. 62is one of my absolute faves ! Borderlineis my number 1 fave from Kick-Out the Jams .

Thanks for the correction;I almost typed "62". Must have been off on Highway 61. Or something like that...Hey,it was a fun time in the early 1970's.

Sherwood Forest was a park-like establishment east of Flint,and had numerous concerts(all-day concerts!) on Wednesdays and Saturdays back from 1970-1976 or so. It would take a page to list all the great bands I saw there. Good times,indeed.

I figured that "61" was a typo , no big ... I do it all of the time .

" Star Ship " ( last song on K.O.T.J. ) is beautiful in so many ways ; I really like that the song is based on a poem by Sun Ra ( Ra even played at a number of shows with the MC5 ! Those are the shows I really wish I could've seen ! I like Ra and his Arkestra [sic] ! ) .

"Looking at You" ( off of Back in the USA , 1970 ) is really my all-time favourite MC5 song .

Auto Transport Service
Back