• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greetings from Montana! HELP NEEDED

• Thread starter Deleted member 5935
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5935

Hey everyone, let me introduce myself, I'm from beautiful southwestern Montana. I'm 17 years old and have recently caught the Mopar bug! I'm looking to start my first restoration project and I have a few questions:

Okay so heres the run down. I found 2 roadrunners close to where I live. Both 69's, all original, one is a 383 automatic car but no engine or tranny, on the other hand is a 383 original 4 speed car with both of them being matching numbers. They are both in a little tough shape.

The owner of these 2 beauties says this:"Both the cars belong to my uncle. He has the title to one, the other is a parts car but I believe a title could be located if wanted but don't quote me on that. You can definately make one out of the two. The cars seem to be in good shape, no cancer through the bodies that I noticed. The front clip of one has been disassembled but I believe complete. No interior in any of the cars, but I think the back seat is in one of the cars. I have 4-5 boxes of parts to go with them. My uncle wants $3700 obo for both cars."

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ONE!!
Any suggestions on what I should offer?

Attachments

• IMG_3519.jpg
    IMG_3519.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3521.jpg
    IMG_3521.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 216
Hi, and welcome to the board 1st off.
Here's my take on this since I started at this at 15 years old and still going strong at 51 years old.
I know you want to get into this and understand that for what you plan om getting out of this in the end will cost you so much more money.
What I have found is that you'd be better off finding a finished car or a car where most of the work has been done already and somebody wants out of it.
The market is very soft and you can get cars for very little now and the hard works done.
Projects are very very expensive in the long haul. Trust me This one cost me $119,000 finished

Attachments

• HEMI REUNION 69 HEMI RR 65 DODGE CORONET 1261.JPG
    HEMI REUNION 69 HEMI RR 65 DODGE CORONET 1261.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 69 HEMI ROADRUNNER.jpg
    69 HEMI ROADRUNNER.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 164
  • HEMI REUNION 69 HEMI RR 65 DODGE CORONET 1258.JPG
    HEMI REUNION 69 HEMI RR 65 DODGE CORONET 1258.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 167
  • HEMI REUNION 69 HEMI RR 65 DODGE CORONET 1257.JPG
    HEMI REUNION 69 HEMI RR 65 DODGE CORONET 1257.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 166
  • HEMI REUNION 69 HEMI RR 65 DODGE CORONET 1256.JPG
    HEMI REUNION 69 HEMI RR 65 DODGE CORONET 1256.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 166
Thanks for the advice. I missed out big time on another 69 Roadrunner with all body work and paint finished for 1 grand! Ill be kicking myself for the rest of my life for missing out on that one

Hi, and welcome to the board 1st off.
Here's my take on this since I started at this at 15 years old and still going strong at 51 years old.
I know you want to get into this and understand that for what you plan om getting out of this in the end will cost you so much more money.
What I have found is that you'd be better off finding a finished car or a car where most of the work has been done already and somebody wants out of it.
The market is very soft and you can get cars for very little now and the hard works done.
Projects are very very expensive in the long haul. Trust me This one cost me $119,000 finished

+1 the market is so soft right now u that u can pick up a complete car for cheap - they are nice project cars for those that have alot of money - save your money and watch the internet - a good place to start is a website like this or http://www.moparsonsale.com/ or www.moparts.com or http://www.cars-on-line.com/mopar.html

If you are wanting to do a project,if there's no major rust repairs needed,and also if your uncle wold cut you a deal I say go for it Super Stockers' car is a hemi which would cost more to build!correct eng.etc.You could build one then sell any parts left you didn't use.You are looking at $20,000.00 at least to restore one though!The fun of owning a classic is being able to say you did it!!!

How much of a deal would you be a buyer at?

$3700 for both sounds pretty fair to me especially if everything you have been told about them is true. Even in this economy not all of us can afford to buy a done car. I'm a firm believer in good project cars and have found immense satisfaction in the restoration work. I have done 90% of the work myself and will not be financially burried in the current project and when it is done, I will have a much nicer car then I could have afforded. I now have a couple of project cars in line after I finish the "JUNKYARD DOG" and I can't wait to get to them.
I'd take 3K in cash over to that guy and see what he says.

Wow, sounds cool! But, at 17, your means to do this is limited; skill wise, experience wise, and most importantly fiscal wise. I know when I was 17, I had big dreams, also big dreams when I was 15 too. However, the dream is hard to kill, I'm 46 and still putzing around in this stuff. My parents gave me a total of $0.00 towards my hobby; I don't think this was the usual as my folks are/were very self-centered in everything they do. However, and I hope your situation is better and different! Maybe you got some $$ to give you a boost?

Look at the threads here, Matt has a good one, I do, and try to glean as much from us all as possible. From my professional eye; both cars, or the one you are going to focus on will need a complete tear down and Media Blast, but, once you step over that line, you're committed to doing it! So, be ready! Have the space, tools, and know-how, if you have all this now, then you're the man! If I can help you get there faster, you've come to the right place!

Good luck, but, temper that with some reality.

Hey thanks that means alot. I would love to suck up as much info as possible. This is going to be a father son project as I would like to spend mor time with him. He went to school for mechanics. I also have the help of a guy who has been restoring Mopars for 25+years. I know it will be a long haul and I'll have a ton of support. This might not be the car for me but I just wanted oppinons on prices and condition as it sits. The search for knowledge is on! And I'm all in. I'll be sure to keep in touch and keep updated!

Cameron

Welcome Montana!!!

Your story brings back memories, When I was 14 I started part time at a butcher shop as the clean up boy, Made money & stashed it untill I was 16, Bought a 68 Charger ( I still kick myself that I sold that car) and worked on it with my buddies and made it in to a solid 12 sec street car. I have so many great memories and you will to.

I don't know your financial situation and don't know if you can afford two cars, I could not and my Charger was my daily driver. If you can own two cars and don't need the RR to get around go for the major resto, If you need a driver look for something that you can drive & restore as time & cash permits.

We used our rides to go to school, work, cruise & go to the track ( no trailer, drive to & from the track....you guys know what I'm talking about) and we had a ball!!!!!!!! I know thing's are not like they were back in the 70's, in my town there is no place for the young kids to cruise like we did.

Bottom line, I think it's great to here a 17 year old looking to build a car, and a MOPAR only makes it better................. Enjoy and have a great time with your dad.......I have a 14 year old son that go'es to the shows with me and we have a lot of fun, he works on the car with me and he is saving for a hot rod when he can drive. Your dad will teach you what you need to know and I'm sure he is very proud of you. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide......................... Oh BTW I'm 51 and still have a passion for MOPAR'S

It sounds like he will come down on the price. Maybe $3000 cash would get them. Make sure they are real Roadrunners (at least the one with the title). It will be an expensive restoration, though. Nice to have you with us!

Welcome aboard......Glad to see another young guy catchin the bug.

Price seems fair...Maybe take a shot at bit lower price?

Roll up your sleeves and get to it! Lot of great resources, ideas and folks on here to help guide the way.

Auto Transport Service
Back