• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grounding issue

Kevin Burdette

Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
I have a 70 rallye dash in my 70 superbee, I replaced the harness along with the tail light harness and the turn signal harness. The turn signals all work but for some reason the right side of the car seems to have a short somewhere. When I hit the switch for the passenger side, every single light tries to blink including the dome light and the marker lights. The driver side blinkers work just fine, its the passenger side. Also when I hit the flashers it blows the fuse. I know its the dash harness somewhere and I would like to ground it better. There doesn’t seem to be a grounding wire for the harness itself so is it possible to add one? If so where could I add one? The column is grounded to the dash and all of my grounds to the front and the back of my car is good. Its just the rallye dash harness.

The most important and the first problem to solve is the fuse blowing fault.
That has nothing to do with ground.
It is already going straight to ground somehow.

The most important and the first problem to solve is the fuse blowing fault.
That has nothing to do with ground.
It is already going straight to ground somehow.
It only seems to blow when I hit the emergency flashers. Im not very good with wiring so I don’t have a clue on what to look for. I can take the flasher switch out and make sure its clean on the turn signal harness and add some conducting grease.

You have a feed back problem. Start by pulling the bulbs front and rear and see if it still blows the fuse. If it does not then you start going back one bulb at a time. Make sure you have the right bulbs, test them, inspect each socket.

Wiring faults like yours can be a pain in the ***.
However you must get to the bottom of the fuse blowing or risk damaging the new wiring.
The fuse blowing is warning you a circuit is not right.

Wiring faults like yours can be a pain in the ***.
However you must get to the bottom of the fuse blowing or risk damaging the new wiring.
The fuse blowing is warning you a circuit is not right.
No kidding. Okay thanks for the info! Ill try to mess with the bulbs and check everything over again.

You have a feed back problem. Start by pulling the bulbs front and rear and see if it still blows the fuse. If it does not then you start going back one bulb at a time. Make sure you have the right bulbs, test them, inspect each socket.
Okay, Ill try that! Hopefully its just a faulty bulb. Still strange that even the dome light wants to blink only when hitting the passenger blinker.

Replace the blown fuse with a test lamp or clip in a 1157 bulb, etc. When the bulb glows bright you are in a shorting condition. Pull branches of the harness loose looking for when the bulb is out or dim. Then trouble shoot with an ohm meter and visual inspection.

In 70 the 4-way flashers were moved to the column. I would look at the column harness first. Check that the pins in the connector are in the right place. A wrong connection to the main harness could cause such havoc. Also a short in this harness or a skinned wire to ground. That harness is a pain to remove or replace and can result in problems.

In 70 the 4-way flashers were moved to the column. I would look at the column harness first. Check that the pins in the connector are in the right place. A wrong connection to the main harness could cause such havoc.
Okay will do! Thanks for answering!

In 70 the 4-way flashers were moved to the column. I would look at the column harness first. Check that the pins in the connector are in the right place. A wrong connection to the main harness could cause such havoc. Also a short in this harness or a skinned wire to ground. That harness is a pain to remove or replace and can result in problems.
It was quite difficult to replace but I did end up buying a new harness awhile back. It concerns me that there was no ground wire hanging where I could bolt it up with one of the dash frame bolts but maybe it grounds itself through the bulkhead and the column.

I once had a car doing what u describe. It was the signal light harness. Kim
This is the second one I bought new, the one I had before only allowed the front driver and rear passenger lights to blink and the flashers worked without blowing the fuse. This one seems to let all blinkers work but the passenger side causes all lights to blink and the flashers cause the fuse to blow. Im at a loss honestly but Ill figure it out even if I have to unwrap all of the wiring and make something work. It would be nice if there was a company reproducing new complete 1970 b body steering columns with and without column shift.

Auto Transport Service
Back