• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTO Stolen in Indianapolis

XS22J8R

Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
Stories like this always break my heart. And they concern me as I am starting to do some towing to more distant shows with cars that mean a lot to me. I am wondering what security measures I should take when parked at a hotel? I have an Android phone, so airtags wouldn't work with it. I do have iPads, but both are wifi only. I saw mentions of Optimus GPS trackers, but what I found online appears to just plug into a cigarette light/power plug and I would think something that can be hidden is best to help track down thieves if they steal a rig or the car out of a trailer.
A buddy of mine who trailers often says he removes a fuse on his CTD Ram when parked, I guess I should figure out which fuse it is so I can do the same on my Ram. I was thinking of digging out my old "club" steering wheel lock too.
Any trailering security recommendations?
Keep your eyes peeled for this GTO, hopefully it gets found and returned to its family!

Classic car from New York stolen in Indianapolis, family begs for it back

NY tag: 3X541
Dark green 1970 GTO
Stolen from LA QUINTA hotel on airport executive drive Indianapolis Indiana 6/27
Taken out of an enclosed trailer.
Contact 607 244 1125

Stories like this always break my heart. And they concern me as I am starting to do some towing to more distant shows with cars that mean a lot to me. I am wondering what security measures I should take when parked at a hotel? I have an Android phone, so airtags wouldn't work with it. I do have iPads, but both are wifi only. I saw mentions of Optimus GPS trackers, but what I found online appears to just plug into a cigarette light/power plug and I would think something that can be hidden is best to help track down thieves if they steal a rig or the car out of a trailer.
A buddy of mine who trailers often says he removes a fuse on his CTD Ram when parked, I guess I should figure out which fuse it is so I can do the same on my Ram. I was thinking of digging out my old "club" steering wheel lock too.
Keep your eyes peeled for this GTO, hopefully it gets found and returned to its family!

Dark green 1970 GTO
Stolen from LA QUINTA hotel on airport executive drive Indianapolis Indiana 6/27
Contact 607 244 1125
The more security measures you have in place, the more you will keep would be thieves in their place. It's all about timing for them and the more obstacles they have to figure out and breach, just makes for a flyover for them and a good chance they'll bail on the heist.

Dark green 1970 GTO
Contact 607 244 1125
Samsung makes an Android equivalent, called SmartTag. Also, check out Tile Mate.

Used to hang horse thieves...do the same for car thieves and anyone stealing other's possessions. They're like wife beaters; they do it once and they'll do it again.

AirTags are fine but are reactive to the theft. Need preventative measures before reactive measures. I use the club on both my cars. Also looked into inexpensive security, Bluetooth trailer door sensor that alerts your phone.

I chain my trailer wheels together, not sure how effective that is.

I have a lock over the hitch when it’s not hitched to the truck.

Have an immobilizer on the Truck (12v diesel)

Hopefully these work enough to thwart thieves.

CYA bigtime! Get yourself a couple of these, one for the car, and another for the trailer!!!
1688659466110.png

When I drove home from Illinois with my son we stopped in Indiana
I parked in a well lit lot and had a long enough strap down chain I wrapped around the k frame of the car, the trailer frame, my truck frame and the light pole. Secured it with a heavy duty lock
No issues

Dark green 1970 GTO
Contact 607 244 1125
I recommend a couple things. I put one similar to this in my 442 and will do the same with my Charger. I use it to interrupt the accessory power and connect the EFI memory directly to the battery.
I also recommend the tracker from GPS&Track. Home - GPS Tracking
It's around $150, no monthly subscription for 2 years and it runs on an internal battery. It has minimal signaling, so it doesn't show up on a thief's scanner and does not need a Wi-Fi network connection.
These guys claim not one car stolen with this system. It was about $500 a few years back.
A modified line lock will prevent the car from rolling. I suppose it could be dragged, but that will make a lot of noise.
I think a combination of these will make a car less attractive to a thief than someone else's vehicle.
BTW even Android has an Airtag finder app. Scan your car after a car show or if you left it parked for dinner or something. A guy on the Olds site had that happen, the thieves followed the tag back to his house and stole it out of the garage.
Tim

Last edited:
Makes you not want to share your car with others at car shows or cruises...

that's just sad

70 GTO is one of my favorites

Hell I rarely leave the county now...
I live in a nice conservative county & area too...
I'm not really afraid of my car or my 2 trucks being stolen,
both trucks have alarms
My car 'most people' wouldn't even know how to start it
let alone get it started, not in the timely manner of a true thief...

Whenever I get out of the car,
I don't/won't leave it in any sketchy places 1st off
if I'm not by the car or can't see the car
I disconnect the ground cable on the battery in the trunk
& or take the coil wire, that/those may slow someone down some...

I have worried a time or 3 about someone stealing
my liftoff hood
but like I said I'm rarely is bad places or hotel parking lots
or leave my car unattended for any period of time...

When I live in the 'bay area' I'd take my coil wire off
(or the ground cable too)
if I slept over somewhere, had the car outside or unattended
For a time I had a fake lil' flashing red LED light,
(when I'd go to Redwood City, where my GF had a sketchy apartment)
that looked like an alarm was in it...

When traveling, I usually slept in my trailer
or early on just on the floor in front on a pad
really roughing it
or later with the nicer trailers when I had more budget,
I'd sleep 'in living quarter upfront' (nice to have a shower & toilet)
or many times in the back of the truck, when I flat towed
or 'in a sleeper' in the bigger/better tow rigs out on the road
(I'm always packing heat too)
or sleeping in a Motorhome, I was towing with...
I didn't stay in many motels, not with a nice rig or a trailer in tow,
trailers that had facilities...
I stayed in RV parks or campgrounds a lot when traveling distances...
Tents & sleeping bags...
Some didn't allow bigger trailers...

When I 1st started racing
Hell I traveled all over the western US in a POS 76 Chevy shortbed stepside
std cab, with a bench seat, wasn't too comfy for a guy 6'2" 250#
with a Big Tex open 20' trailer in tow...
I slept on the ground in a sleeping bag, many times, more than I can recount...
Or in many RV parks, with a tent & my tools all in the back of the truck...
I never had any issues (I am a light sleeper too), maybe just lucky...
Or I pulled in a hwy state rest stop (before it was fag city)
I couldn't afford to pay for all the fuel, misc. **** & stay in motels & race too...
I wouldn't have changed anything either...

I don't like 'the crowds' or motels much either...

We live in a lawless time now, freaken' douchebags/scumbags

I hope they catch the mo-fo's
& fry their asses

Last edited:
That just sucks! I hope they can locate it and get something from the video surveillance.

I’ve got a couple security measures in my car but they wouldn‘t prevent something like that. The thieves would spend a long time figuring it out but once they hauled it away, they’d just rewire and re-key things and be in business. That’s why I don’t travel with it.

Immobilized vehicles are less likely to be stolen.
Physically preventing it from being TOWED away, even by another vehicle is probably the best deterrent.
There are stages of prevention and stages of determination to steal. As long as you are more determined to take steps to prevent theft than a criminal is to steal, you're ok.
At home, I keep at least one vehicle in the way of stealing either of our 2 classic cars, and the "blocking" vehicle has an alarm. This means a vehicle has to be stolen before either of the other 2 could be.
I have the Progression Ignition system and once that is installed, I will have an ignition that WILL NOT WORK and the entire ignition system would literally have to be completely replaced to drive away in my Roadrunner.

Auto Transport Service
Back