• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTX, Charger, Cobra Jet, GTO, SS 396, and GS 400 compared in 1969

ericisback

Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
Here is a report from a magazine in 1969 that compares six cars. Interesting info. GTX, and Charger R/T are one and two.

Untitled-1.jpg

GTX had 4:10 gears. They should compare apples to apples.

GTX had 4:10 gears. They should compare apples to apples.
You can look at the numbers for the charger instead. Put those gears in the gtx and the numbers would be nearly identical.

You can look at the numbers for the charger instead. Put those gears in the gtx and the numbers would be nearly identical.
Right. And maybe the charger weighs a tad more because of the extra trim too

Love the old school comparisons… facts and details only!

What was the $169.00 difference in price(big dollars option in ‘69) with the GTX’s Super Performance axel package , compared to the Charger R/T’s Performance axel package?

Love the old school comparisons… facts and details only!

What was the $169.00 difference in price(big dollars option in ‘69) with the GTX’s Super Performance axel package , compared to the Charger R/T’s Performance axel package?
GTX is a 4.10 in a DANA 60, comparable to the "Super Track Pack", but the Charger has an 8¾ with a 3.55.
Substantial difference.

When I was in High School, I used to go to the downtown New Orleans Public Library and read the 60s era Hot Rod and other car magazines. I was already "Mopar Nation" and I liked to compare the different top offerings from the various manufacturers of engine options. Compression ratio options got pretty high!

Auto Transport Service
Back