• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTX questions

Car #4

Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
On 69 GTX I see some cars with a double hood blackout strip and some don’t. Was it optional?
Also I found one car with a red stripe just below the chrome body side trim. I think it looks really good with the redline tires. Was this a personal touch? I can’t find any other images of it so I’m thinking it was not factory.

33DEA0BF-1500-4A32-9248-79CC6BD66179.jpeg 9612336C-643E-439A-B830-B250429C7EC8.jpeg 5725FF2D-147E-41F2-A3E4-EB54E2EB78A2.jpeg

The black hood paint was an option. V21 on the fender tag = performance hood treatment.

The reflective tape stripe was installed as original equipment by the factory, though some buyers chose to delete it when buying ordered cars. I always found it interesting that the sales brochure cars had red tape stripes, but every '69 GTX I ever saw in the wild back in the day had a white stripe. Car in the picture on left is an original Dealer Demonstrator '69 I drove when it was new. It had a white stripe. My most recent '69 had a white stripe per the fender tag. I replaced it after a previous owner had removed it. Two '69s, one a survivor, I owned previously also came with white stripes.
IMG_0101.JPG IMG_2278.JPG

Last edited:
If it was original factory equipment then it’s really interesting that nearly all images on a Google search don’t have it. I’m not saying you are wrong, I believe you, but why have they been left off of all these restored cars? I find all of these nuances so interesting.

If it was original factory equipment then it’s really interesting that nearly all images on a Google search don’t have it. I’m not saying you are wrong, I believe you, but why have they been left off of all these restored cars? I find all of these nuances so interesting.
The originals were prone to peeling off, and for many years reproductions weren't available. And as I said earlier, some folks didn't care for them when the cars were new. These days, you are most likely to see them on high end, OE type restorations, rather than driver level cars. Car you show with stripes sold at Mecum for $66,000 the last time it crossed the block.

Last edited:
I've always felt the lower body side stripe really ruined the look of the car.

Which is why I prefer a 68 GTX.
For me, it depends on multiple factors, which is why I've had two 68s and three 69s. Probably because I remember the new ones that way, I like a white stripe on a '69, but I never cared for the red. While I can understand the dislike for the stripe some people have, I personally felt it was a thoughtful detail to distinguish the black lower body on the '69 GTX from that of a '68 Chevelle SS396. I'd venture a guess no two GTX owners have identical thoughts on this item.

The dual black hood stripes were an option. My understanding on the coloured side pinstripe was that it was tied to the colour of the tires. Red line tires had red stripe on the side trim; white wall tires had a white side stripe, and blackwall tires had a black stripe.

The dual black hood stripes were an option. My understanding on the coloured side pinstripe was that it was tied to the colour of the tires. Red line tires had red stripe on the side trim; white wall tires had a white side stripe, and blackwall tires had a black stripe.

I like the dual stripes, but the Hitler moustache on the 68 cars is a turn off for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back