• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hagerty insurance

When I went to give value of my 74 Duster at $5000, the agent said it's worth $8000 and that was listed value of car. I thought that was far and above for them to do that with Hagerity.

I've heard nothing but good things on how they handle a claim.
So I felt they were worth the difference.

I pay about $750 a year. For agreed value at $105k
And I can use my car for just about anything except daily driver duties.

Nearly identical in coverage and cost here.

Easiest insurer in the game to get coverage as they don't even require appraisals, hell I added the 67 Barracuda Formula S at an agreed value of 75K Cdn and it added $136 a year to my policy. Computer discounted 25% off each of the other 5 cars already insured and gave me a bill for the remainder of the "year" of $26 bucks to pay. Printed my slip and drove.

That said... fawkers still owe me 13 grand on the Bird repairs...

Both Grundy and Hagerty are amateur-hour liars... both were happy enough to take my money for years until they "discovered" I keep most of my cars in shared garages with other owners, then they act horrified and say "we don't allow that". Never mind I had years of emails and pictures I sent them when I took out the policies saying this is exactly what I did. I asked Hagerty "how the hell are you doing business in California then, since the only guy rich enough to have a private garage with space for multiple classics is Jay Leno" and they couldn't answer that.

Hagerty usta be worth the extra; probably the best out there short of some really 'exclusive' carriers that were only interested in 500k and above units. However... Hagerty got in bed with progressive here about 4 years ago and it shows. Look elsewhere imnsho.

Both Grundy and Hagerty are amateur-hour liars... both were happy enough to take my money for years until they "discovered" I keep most of my cars in shared garages with other owners, then they act horrified and say "we don't allow that". Never mind I had years of emails and pictures I sent them when I took out the policies saying this is exactly what I did. I asked Hagerty "how the hell are you doing business in California then, since the only guy rich enough to have a private garage with space for multiple classics is Jay Leno" and they couldn't answer that.
I use a broker for my classic car insurance and that I keep one of my cars in storage came up. They needed information on where the car is stored like the address, but other than that, it didn't seem to be an issue. I'm pretty sure that all came up while I was still insured with Hagerty, it was only last December that I had them find me a more reasonably priced insurer (American Modern Insurance) after Hagerty decided I would need to pay 50% more to stay with them in 2023.
The main stipulation I see with classic car insurance, is that the cars need to be stored in permanent locked structures. I've known more than a few people who will keep a car stashed in their enclosed trailer. I try to warn them they better check their insurance to see if that is OK, but they always scoff at that concern. It's one of those things that isn't a problem, until it is. As long as the trailer never gets stolen, has a fire, or a storm damages it, and they then find themselves needing to make a claim, they are fine!

Hagerty will stick you in the back first chance they get.

Just like all insurance companies, great until you make a claim. My 69 Roadrunner was parked in driveway for a few hours and
some bastard keyed it out of jealousy. Hagerty paid claim but then dropped me and said would never cover any car for me in
my lifetime. They said it should have been in storage and not on driveway. What a bunch of crap! Questioned them about vandalism
at car shows or while trailering it and could not say it would be paid for. I switched to American Collectors. I have not had to make
any claims for my Roadrunner or 1990 Mustang 25th anniversary edition so I don't know what that would bring. It is a crap shoot
in my book from my experience. Just make sure you value your vehicle correctly so you will not have any problems if for some
reason it is a total loss.

I have had Hagerty for 18 years. They used to be great, knowledgeable people on the phone, quick response, fair rates. I have never had a claim and never been late on my annual payment.
Rates have gone up recently and it seems that they have now gone to a call center. The last two times I called to add a vehicle, the people on the phone had no idea what I was talking about. This Spring I added a vintage Yamaha motorcycle and was asked if it was a 2 door or a 4 door.
On the most recent instance, the phone person had to talk to the "underwriter", who then stated by the Google Earth picture that she was looking at there was not room for all my cars to be stored inside and demanded pictures. I explained that I also own the buildings in the next lot. She then said, Oh I see but we still need pictures. Keep in mind that I have provided pictures for every vehicle and where they are stored when I added them to the policy.

When it's time to renew in the Spring, I will be shopping around.

Have Hagerty on our 3 classics.
When I had a claim on the Coronet they were very fair and easy to deal with
Have uses their free roadside towing 3 or 4 times in the 10 years I've had them. Never a charge.
Just got our 2024 premium and it went up $52 to $478. First increase in 10 yrs.
I enjoy their monthly magazine too.

Has anyone out there had problems with hagerty insurance?
i started out with Hagerty, when i got back into classic cars 6 or 7 years ago, have 20 insured for about $2200. had one claim on a broken back window, that has not been made for many years. they said you find it and we'll pay. they sent me a check while i was looking. i spent a long time looking as the first one i found was $1000, not counting installation. i thought i wouldn't spend that much money for it myself, so keep looking. after a month i ended up finding one and getting it installed for less than they had sent. that left me a bit for my time, as they said i didn't need to send any back. i was and am happy, i took it as a challenge to find a good deal for both of us. i normally do everything online, but the few times i have called no matter who i talked to they knew cars and insurance. my B bodies are a 1966 and 1967 Dodge Coronet 500s.

2021-11-22 1967 dodge 010.JPG

Have Hagerty on our 3 classics.
When I had a claim on the Coronet they were very fair and easy to deal with
Have uses their free roadside towing 3 or 4 times in the 10 years I've had them. Never a charge.
Just got our 2024 premium and it went up $52 to $478. First increase in 10 yrs.
I enjoy their monthly magazine too.
$478 for 3 vehicles for a years coverage?

Hagerty usta be worth the extra; probably the best out there short of some really 'exclusive' carriers that were only interested in 500k and above units. However... Hagerty got in bed with progressive here about 4 years ago and it shows. Look elsewhere imnsho.
I did not know Haggerty was an item w/Progressive I.e. “garbage carrier”. That by itself completely changes the game w/them as a classic carrier. There are many other good choices - I wouldn’t let a Progressive carrier fund me w/ your money ……

As long as I have been with Hagerty my policies have been underwritten by Essentia. No Progressive anywhere to be found. As far as the premiums mentioned above, "$478 for 3 vehicles" the coverage and guaranteed value will dictate it. 3 cars at 15k each or 3 at 40k it makes a difference. I have two, one 50k guaranteed, and the second at 25k and my policy is 545 a year with the roadside plan.

I had a horrible, stressfull, three month long claims experience with Hagerty - first appraiser was a complete moron missing 3/4 of the damaged items, most of which I pointed out to him. After much back and forth arguing with the incompetant adjuster AND his just as useless supervisor I finally got another appraiser to come out and do a better estimate. There were still items missing from the estimate so I had to tke pics myself and submit them to get paid. This took three months due to them taking 3-4 days to more to respond to both my calls and e-mails or sometimes not respond at all. Needless to say when my renewel came up I dumped them and now have Grundy. hopefully if I ever have a claim with them it goes better. The worst part was that I filled out Hagerty`s customer survey and explained in detail about how unhappy I was but I never even recieved any response much lees an apology. BTW I did collision work for 10 years and also did resto work on the side and had an appraisers license at one point so I know the business.

$478 for 3 vehicles for a years coverage?
Yes, the Coronet, Dart, and Opel GT. Although the Dart is still at it's initial guaranteed value of $13,000 so I'm increasing the value and should see a little bump.

JC Taylor. Agreed. No claims. AAA for roadside.

Had Hagerty for several years. Never a claim but our body shop did a couple jobs for customers with Hagerty.
They paid fast and no BS about the estimates.

I have had JC Taylor on my 69 roadrunner for around 22 years. I have filed one claim involving a teenage girl backing into my car and destroying the passenger door. JC Taylor insurance was more than cooperative and took care of everything making the process easy for me. I now have a policy on my 55 Bel Air as well. The coverage amounts are relative to the agreed value of the car. I've looked at other companies and remain satisfied with JC Taylor.

As long as I have been with Hagerty my policies have been underwritten by Essentia. No Progressive anywhere to be found. As far as the premiums mentioned above, "$478 for 3 vehicles" the coverage and guaranteed value will dictate it. 3 cars at 15k each or 3 at 40k it makes a difference. I have two, one 50k guaranteed, and the second at 25k and my policy is 545 a year with the roadside plan.
Yes - Essentia is just another little 'paper company', one of many, that are actually subsidiaries / captive writers / 'partners'. If you have been watching your Hagerty magazine, besides noting the change in 'attitude' , direction and 'editorial content' , you will see progressive popping up. I saw it, got on the phone and asked then [hagerty] directly; yes, they are 'in bed' with progressive. At least that was the case 4 or 5 years ago, and that caused me drop them.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back