• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy 92nd Birthday "Big Daddy"

65Bel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
Donald Glenn Garlits (born January 14, 1932, Tampa, Florida) is an American race car driver and automotive engineer. Considered the father of drag racing, he is known as "Big Daddy" to drag racing fans around the world. A pioneer in the field of drag racing, he perfected the rear-engine Top Fuel dragster, an innovation motivated by the loss of part of his foot in a dragster accident.

Don Garlits 6.jpg

Don Garlits Thumbs Up.jpg

I have the honor of the inside trunk lid on my 66 Charger autographed by "Big Daddy" Don Garlits. Previous owner told me that Big Daddy was at a car show in Michigan and had a keen interest in his 66 Charger. They struck up a conversation, he said that Big Daddy would have bought the car if he had any room for it.
Car was signed in August 2011, I bought the car in September. If I leave the trunk open at a cruise, that autograph is a real conversation starter.

Happy Birthday Big Daddy & Thanks !!!

DSC02095.JPG

Happy Birthday Don! What a Legend yet such a nice fellow. I talked with him at the Nats a few years back. Just ask him about his electric dragsters. We chatted for a half hour.

Happy 92nd. Birthday to "Gone Darlits", and many more! A true Living Legend!

Happy birthday. A name that will live on forever!!

Happy Birthday Don! What a Legend yet such a nice fellow. I talked with him at the Nats a few years back. Just ask him about his electric dragsters. We chatted for a half hour.
Electric dragster? Drag racing and saving the environment at the same time. What a concept! If Don was up here, JT would welcome him with open arms and possibly award him The Order Of Canada. LOL.

Genuine good guy that always seems to have time to talk.

I've missed the last few events at his place due to poor planning on my part.

I need to resolve that this year.

HBD Big Daddy!

One year, we drove our 1 of 0 1967 Coronet R/T station wagon down to Tifton,Ga., to visit my wife's sister and her husband. From there, on another day, my son, brother-in-law and I drove down to Don Garlit's museum with it. This is an amazing facility, with a lot of the history of drag racing to see; not only Don's racers, but others to see as well. This was about 25 years ago, and only could have gotten better since then. Unfortunately, Don was not there that day. My R/T wagon had a 440 and 4-speed in it. I installed 2.94 gears and cruise control for the long trip from Ontario.

scan0002[2].jpg

scan0003[1].jpg

scan0001[2].jpg

Mr 65Bel beat me to it... I was gonna start a thread about this being Mr Garlits' birthday. Happy Birthday, Large! A genuine innovator, serious and intense racer, and genuinely good guy. I would tell y'all about having the opportunity to 'work' in the pits with/for Mr Garlits one year at the Spring Nationals, but you probably wouldn't believe it anyway... :)

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, Don
Icon for sure

Happy Birthday But When I do it's to Ledgends.jpg

Happy 92nd Birthday Don, and thanks for the memories & being a stand-up guy you old Swamp Rat.

Happy Birthday to the legend!

Richard Petty was at Mecum this weekend. He's 86. Two amazing men, when you think of all they've been through and have done for racing and for Chrysler. And how they've lived to ripe old ages. Both are still sharp as a tack, mentally, too.

EOQQEMcUwAUMG0v.jpg

Garlits-Fire-Burnout-Poster.jpg

Great Guy and a Great Museum too !
Best Wishes Don !

Auto Transport Service
Back