• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has this area of Florida been hit by a hurricane before?

SteveSS

Local time
5:48 PM
Reaction score
Maybe you Floridians can answer this. I know they are calling it a storm of the century but we all know Florida and the Gulf Coast are prone to hurricanes.

I have an old girlfriend that has a condo down there. She's rich as can be and also has a big house in Kansas City. She's probably in the path of Ian. How many times has Florida been hit like this? I feel bad for the residents but I also feel bad for the American taxpayers that keep spending billions on these areas. How many times must we rebuild New Orleans? I live by a pine forest. If we got wiped out by a fire I would be okay with some assistance but certainly not a second, third, or fourth time.

Since George W. got complaints about not helping enough on one hurricane it seems to be a contest on how much a president can spend in aid. What about Haiti? How many times has it been hit?

I know this all seems heartless but WTF?

I heard 100 years since Tampa took a direct hit. It seems to be going closer to Ft. Myers and Sarasota. Could be a Cat 5. God bless the people there.

My Father in Laws new place that he just finished building last Winter is on the water just North of Cape Coral.. doesn't look good..

MSN

Hurricane Charley took the same path in 2014, it was bad, but Ian is a monster

Do homeowners have hurricane insurance? Is there such a thing? I looked it up myself. It looks like wind damage is covered but you'll have a high deductible. Flood and wave surge, probably not.

This is the part that gets me. I have no doubt that Florida is a beautiful place to live. Great, go there. Live right on the beach if you can. Just know you are living in a dangerous place and it's not the responsibility of others living in a not-so-picturesque location to cover you from hurricane damage through federal taxes.

This is what the news already says:

DeSantis said that the Secretary of Defense had approved Florida's request for dual status of its National Guard forces under Title 10 to provide additional forces and that a major disaster declaration for all 67 counties would be submitted, requesting that the federal government reimburse 100% of the upfront costs for the first 60 days.

"So, the effects of this are going to be broad, and we appreciate the Biden administration's consideration for the people of Florida during this time of need," the governor added.

He said there would be a massive effort as soon as the storm passes southwest Florida to get out, recon the area and identify where rescue services are necessary.

DeSantis said that while the state has everything it needs in terms of immediate response needs, thousands of Floridians will need help rebuilding.

I don't want to help you rebuild in a place that will get hit again!!!!!!!

^^^Using that theory, anyone that gets hit with a flood, tornadoes, straight-line winds, wildfires, etc, should just suck it up and pony up themselves. Bullshit. That is what the agencies are (in theory) there for. Insurance is always the frontline protection from loss. The agencies are NOT there to rebuild anyone from scratch. They will provide a small stipend that might help, but if you are uninsured, you are absolutely SOL. You roll the dice, you take your chances..

Here's a hint - FEMA and DHS are the most useless Federal agencies every created. Period. If you get hit with a natural disaster, they are just as likely to NOT "help" you as they are to actually provide a useful service.

Do homeowners have hurricane insurance? Is there such a thing? I looked it up myself. It looks like wind damage is covered but you'll have a high deductible. Flood and wave surge, probably not.

Yes, there is hurricane insurance, or else not a soul could possibly get home financing from any lender, otherwise. And yes, your deductible will be high - up to 10% of the pre-damage value of the home.

Every part of the United States has certain disaster potentials - landslides, snowslides, wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, huge snow/rain amounts, straight-line winds, car-sized hail, ice storms...there is a lot more! Everyone in the US has the potential for massive life-changing natural disasters. I lived through an F4 twister that devastated my neighborhood. Me, my wife, our sons and cat were in the only untouched room in the house. The house was a total, as was my shop - it had one wall left standing. My Coronet was the only vehicle undamaged...because it was over at a buddy's shop!

It's been 30 years since Andrew hit Florida. People rebuilt then, and there was barely concrete slabs left in areas like Homestead. People rebuilt in Moore, OK after the 1999 EF5 tornado that took out over 600 homes and killed 198 people. People rebuilt in Anchorage after the 1961 earthquake that killed many and registered 8.2. You get my point.

This is why people have insurance.

Last edited:

^^^Using that theory, anyone that gets hit with a flood, tornadoes, straight-line winds, wildfires, etc, should just suck it up and pony up themselves. Bullshit.

Here's a hint - FEMA and DHS are the most useless Federal agencies every created. Period. If you get hit with a natural disaster, they are just as likely to NOT "help" you as they are to actually provide a useful service.
15.2 bil would help I'm sure.

Some of that money that is being laundered in Ukraine would certainly help!

You couldn't talk him into building a good looking house?
It would look much better if he got rid of the tart that lives with him! Click the MSN link... it shows the path and wind speeds. At noon it was 155 MPH gust 190.... and only moving at 9 MPH.

Looks like she's going right up that BIG bay at Boca Grand.

I find it funny that states with exceptionally bad weather have never given the thought of putting power lines underground.

I find it funny that states with exceptionally bad weather have never given the thought of putting power lines underground.

It is far more expensive to run underground to replace overhead lines. If you are building a new subdivision or industrial park, then it is a lot more cost effective to bury everything possible. That discussion in Oklahoma comes up every year, as we always have a week-long Icy Apocalypse which kills power to thousands. The power companies put out a spreadsheet a couple of years ago. The costs, especially in the rural areas or rural suburban areas, would quadruple the power rates to most. It's simply impractical.

Areas that get weather like that, should’ve done that from the start.

There's a HUGE difference between building a house somewhere safe and building on the Gulf Coast! If you choose to build in a PROVEN risky area, good luck but don't bill me. I don't think they should use Federal funds to rebuild Moore, Oklahoma either. It's a proven Tornado magnet. I know enough about tornadoes. They take similar paths a lot of the time. There are people that have lost their homes 3 times to tornadoes. Please move!

Last edited:
There's a HUGE difference between building a house somewhere safe and building on the Gulf Coast! If you choose to build in a PROVEN risky area, good luck but don't bill me. I don't think they should use Federal funds to rebuild MOORE, Oklahoma either. It's a proven Tornado magnet. I know enough about tornadoes. They take similar paths a lot of the time.

You're gonna get damage, no matter where you live. And there is no terrain that is immune from damages. Anywhere. So, no Federal help for anyone at anytime is your answer, I'm reading. Very short-sighted. I could have a wildfire in Colorado Springs (wait, that was last year, and Federal assistance WAS provided) or a tornado. Hail. Ice storms and blizzards. Flooding, too. Are you prepared to take that alone? I'm certain you are properly insured? Federal funds do NOT "rebuild" anyone. Insurance DOES.

Tornadoes do take similar paths, true. I-44 from Wichita Falls to Joplin is practically a road map for twisters. However, the one that hit my house is the only tornado documented to hit my area since prior to WWII.

Define "safe". You can't.

Last edited:
All new developments require underground utilities now. Just found out here that any new service hookups are underground even if you already have overhead service.
Thinking of adding another shop on my property I purchased next door and they just let me know it had to be underground service

Auto Transport Service
Back