• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has this area of Florida been hit by a hurricane before?

With my stick house, I had to get a 15% deductible. Been watching this thing for days now, even before it started up, the computer models were on it. So I have to get started on preparations early because I’m slow now. Shoot, they closed something like 21 Waffle Houses in the state and had to get Jim Cantore inside, so you know it must be the real thing.

With my stick house, I had to get a 15% deductible. Been watching this thing for days now, even before it started up, the computer models were on it. So I have to get started on preparations early because I’m slow now. Shoot, they closed something like 21 Waffle Houses in the state and had to get Jim Cantore inside, so you know it must be the real thing.

I was at the airport in DFW several years ago, and we were trying to get out before a predicted big-*** storm was due. Who do we see getting off the jet we are getting on? Jim Cantore and a couple of his crew. I said out loud "I guess we're getting out in time when you show up!"

Puerto Rico got clobbered again, and they really never got rebuilt from the last time. Fema never helped them out.

Florida does have flood and hurricane insurance and if you are on the water around here it starts at around $1000 per month.

I’d rather see our tax dollars go to a US Territory than Ukraine!

My mom lives on Pine Island. I heard today they are under water

My mom lives on Pine Island. I heard today they are under water
I hope she got out of there !
I saw earlier Sanibel Island taking the brunt of it and new it had to be under major storm surge so Pine Island would be as well.
Man I am afraid this is not going to be good as we just went through Michael here 4 years ago and it ripped this area a new one.
I am in Tallahassee and it was a Cat 3 by the time it went through here and I had over 40 trees down which took me 3 years to get them all cut up into firewood.
I will say the Red Cross was here the next day to assess the damage and a tree service from Pennsylvania came through within 2 weeks and cut and pick up all the trees that we had cleared by the side of the road. We were out of power for only 14 days which is a record seeing every pole was down and we live on the outskirts of the county on a private road.
Florida is well prepared for this as can be and the response times are way better than 40 years ago. Trust me as I have lived here all my life.

I hope she got out of there !
I saw earlier Sanibel Island taking the brunt of it and new it had to be under major storm surge so Pine Island would be as well.
Man I am afraid this is not going to be good as we just went through Michael here 4 years ago and it ripped this area a new one.
I am in Tallahassee and it was a Cat 3 by the time it went through here and I had over 40 trees down which took me 3 years to get them all cut up into firewood.
I will say the Red Cross was here the next day to assess the damage and a tree service from Pennsylvania came through within 2 weeks and cut and pick up all the trees that we had cleared by the side of the road. We were out of power for only 14 days which is a record seeing every pole was down and we live on the outskirts of the county on a private road.
Florida is well prepared for this as can be and the response times are way better than 40 years ago. Trust me as I have lived here all my life.
Mom is safe in Fort Meyers, I think she has sheltered at this place in the past.

Wonder if anybody in Florida was using that kite/surf thingamabob today? Bet there was some gnarly waves!!

I find it funny that states with exceptionally bad weather have never given the thought of putting power lines underground.
Some areas for underground is a no deal due to the water table or sea level, such as where they 'bury' people above ground. After Katrina (think it was Katrina) several areas in NO that once had residences on land below sea level, were never rebuilt and gather never will be.
Just read an article discussing the population decline in PR and the Virgin Islands. Some areas have had a 20% pop decline and declining. Decent jobs that were once there are gone. Infrastructure sucks, ancient, crap health care, etc. Worse than I thought.

If a power line can’t be put 5 feet underground, then how do the sewage pipes work? It can be done, should’ve been done, that’s all I’m getting at.

Having been hit by a tornado years ago the federal assistance we were offered was in the form of low interest loans. Foreign countries don't have to pay it back

Trust the government, they will take care of everything.

I find it funny that states with exceptionally bad weather have never given the thought of putting power lines underground.
Read below....was going to say pretty much the same thing.....and places like Houston has a lot of gumbo clay that moves a LOT when it's damp and then dry....

Some areas for underground is a no deal due to the water table or sea level, such as where they 'bury' people above ground. After Katrina (think it was Katrina) several areas in NO that once had residences on land below sea level, were never rebuilt and gather never will be.

If a power line can’t be put 5 feet underground, then how do the sewage pipes work? It can be done, should’ve been done, that’s all I’m getting at.
Uh, the Houston area has LOTS of water supply lines break every year and it's worse in a dry spell. Same for sewage pipes but there's not much mention of that since they are not under pressure like water supply lines. When sewage lines break, it doesn't come up to the surface like a water line under pressure does but if a sewage line is broken for long enough and it's big enough, it will eventually have that tell tale smell. As long as ya kain't smell it, it's considered fertilizer!

Read below....was going to say pretty much the same thing.....and places like Houston has a lot of gumbo clay that moves a LOT when it's damp and then dry....

Uh, the Houston area has LOTS of water supply lines break every year and it's worse in a dry spell. Same for sewage pipes but there's not much mention of that since they are not under pressure like water supply lines. When sewage lines break, it doesn't come up to the surface like a water line under pressure does but if a sewage line is broken for long enough and it's big enough, it will eventually have that tell tale smell. As long as ya kain't smell it, it's considered fertilizer!
Didn't know that; up here we get some of that with severe cold temps. Imagine a power line breaking below ground might be - shocking..

Didn't know that; up here we get some of that with severe cold temps. Imagine a power line breaking below ground might be - shocking..
Not only does it cost more to install, it also costs more to fix!

I have no problem with my tax dollars going to assist fellow Americans. I have a problem with my tax dollars going to ukraine and any other foreign country.

It's actually worse that that.....

The state of FL actually subsidizes high risk property insurance with a state owned insurance company called "Citizens", often referred to here as the "insurer of last resort".

In effect, all citizens of FL that don't have Citizens policies are helping to pay for the expensive premiums of those that live on the waterfront.

WTF?

Guess that’s not much different than MediCal!

Auto Transport Service
Back