• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have the times changed?

wldgtx

Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
When I bought my 68 Hemi GTX, I remembered the story that I was told from the previous owner that he had cut the hood release because (more than once) he would be at a gas station and he would come out to the car after going inside to pay and someone would be trying to pop the hood open to see if the car really had a Hemi.
(as if the hood callouts, and decklid emblem weren't enough). It made me think, what would happen today if someone tried to pop some guys hood on their classic muscle car (regardless of engine).

I have been looking to get a replacement hood release. I don't want to stick a screwdriver through the grill to push the release open to "pop" the hood. But would someone even try to get under the hood of someone else's car today?

There are still people out there like that and they'll open your car door(s) if you don't have them locked.

More concerning is one jumper wire and a screwdriver makes these cars go vrmmm if hood access is easy. We installed a hood lock that uses a barrel key inside to engage so even if you get in the car you can’t pop the hood. Make it harder than the next target and hope for the best.

Back in the day, we would loop a chain through the hood and down around some lower support brace tied with a keyed lock. Another place was in a way that once the hood release was activated the hood would pop up and the the chain/cable was grabbed to unlock it. That was all back when these cars were daily drivers and not Musesm Pieces, lol. Maybe a soft cable could be utilized again.

A friend worked at an exotic car dealership. I was amazed by people opening the doors and sitting in a stranger's car without permission. These were customer's cars, they were not being offered for sale. Who raised those people?

Last edited:
How about a later model latch with a release cable under the dash. More classy than a log chain. :poke: :lol:

Up here, back in the day Touching someone elses car was grounds for an *** whooping. Opening the hood of a hot rod meant you were stealing something and you better be ready for the consequences.

Auto Transport Service
Back