• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head gasket question

Max lobato

Local time
3:34 AM
Reaction score
Hope everyone had a good xmas!
Wondering if i could get some help regaurding my head gaskets. Im running flat top pistons on my 318. Had my heads worked on to be able to run a thumper cam.The cylinders are bored out .030. Now its time to throw the heads on and im unsure on if i shoud use a standard head gasket or use one that is ment for a block bored out .030 and if i need a specific thickness. Any help would be apreciated.
Thanks!

ask the person who did you block for type' thickness 'and bore size and should tell you a part number.

The gasket that will be in the Fel-Pro gasket set will work just fine. The gasket included will cover more than a 0.060" overbore. The thickness will be the nominal 0.042" to 0.051" OEM replacement gasket. If you were trying anything else like increasing the compression, a Fel-Pro HP gasket or a Cometic gasket will be required. If you were only looking for an OEM replacement, the gasket set will have the correct one. The head gasket part number embossed on the gasket will be 8553PT and a bore hole of 4.180". A 0.030" over 318 will be 3.940". The gasket hole will be 0.240" or 0.120" per side larger than the block cylinders.

The gasket that will be in the Fel-Pro gasket set will work just fine. The gasket included will cover more than a 0.060" overbore. The thickness will be the nominal 0.042" to 0.051" OEM replacement gasket. If you were trying anything else like increasing the compression, a Fel-Pro HP gasket or a Cometic gasket will be required. If you were only looking for an OEM replacement, the gasket set will have the correct one. The head gasket part number embossed on the gasket will be 8553PT and a bore hole of 4.180". A 0.030" over 318 will be 3.940". The gasket hole will be 0.240" or 0.120" per side larger than the block cylinders.
Thanks 69bee! With me running flat pistons would there be a need for the HP gaskets or should i be fine? Thanks again for the help

Thanks 69bee! With me running flat pistons would there be a need for the HP gaskets or should i be fine? Thanks again for the help
You will be fine with the OEM. You would need to a lot more to really increase the CR.

You will be fine with the OEM. You would need to a lot more to really increase the CR.
Happy new years 69bee! Hey i received my gaskets but i have to flip one gasket over upside down to get it to fit the block. Is this normal? I would assume both gaskets need to be layed the same direction. The gaskets dont specify which side goes up.
Thanks in advance!

20200101_134045.jpg

Happy new years 69bee! Hey i received my gaskets but i have to flip one gasket over upside down to get it to fit the block. Is this normal? I would assume both gaskets need to be layed the same direction. The gaskets dont specify which side goes up.
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 888779
It appears you have one of the reverse-deck 318s and your engine builder obviously didn't catch it..

Just kidding!:p
It doesn't matter, gaskets fit over the dowel pins. In other words either one can go on either side, regardless of which side may have printing on it, or not..

Last edited:
That is the kind of teasing that a guy like ME appreciates!

The dowels are offset, one to the intake, and one to the exhaust, so you have to flip one gasket, there will be no issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back