• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head gaskets

Just installed .020 steel head gasket on my 383. Got them at Mancini…

Last edited:
I used them on my 413 with 906 heads this spring. Kind of hard to find. I got Superformance from Marsh.

they work real well long as the block and head surfaces are machined and are clean before assembly.

My neighbor who is a mechanic from way back ( he's 87 ) says they used them on HP motors to get the compression up.

Use them often. They were the only thing the factory used on BB mopars from 1958- early 70’s.

I used them
However since I went to aluminum heads I had to quit using them
I only use Cometic MLS now

They were the only way to put a thin gasket for compression increase. But they will expose any head or deck surface flaws. Today's copper (and even more exotic coatings) are superior for seal thus performance.

But done right? Still formidable. My Schubeck marine engine did away with gasket in favor of steel o-rings. One big advantage of steel? Not having to replace everytime you pull head. Which in racing is alot. (At least my method of mangling parts. I'm sure if I was better? I would have less incidents. Lol.)

Last edited:
Reason I asked is because they have always been my go to along with the copper spray, but with all the new "high tech" ones out there, I just wondered if I was in my daughter's lingo, being a dinosaur again.

Mark

I sprayed my shim gaskets with copper gasket spay.

Auto Transport Service
Back