• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

headers on a 72 road Runner GOOD GAWDD!

MikeyT

Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I was wondering if any of you have tried to install big block headers on a 1972 road runner. I apparently did this as a younger guy, but looking at those shock towers and engine. I literally laughed!

Ok, so here is the damage 1 7/8" hookers with 3 inch collectors. Any tricks to installing them, or pitfalls I should be aware of before doing this on the 72 bird?

Thanks all,

Mike

Get that car up about 3 feet in the air and take out the torsion bars and steering linkage. Also take out the starter and the motor mount bolts, then jack the engine up as far as you can get it. Angle the headers in from the bottom. Lots and lots of fun.

Had to install and remove the headers 3 times on my 70. I'm guessing since 70-72 k members are the same that it will be pretty much the same process.

A tip that Rustyratrod gave me and others is to use the factory exhaust manifold gaskets. No leaks as of yet.

You may want to go with a mini starter. You'll see what I mean when you take out that boat anchor of a factory starter. Also consider header wrap or rerouting the trans lines if its a 727. Thats all I can think of now.

touche'

Thanks guys. Yup, I remember this issue! Lots of fun!

Mike

put headman headers on my 71 ssp ,never had to touch steering linkage or torsion bars , lifted passenger side of the 440 a little and slid that one down from the top.. drivers side went in from the bottom and had to bolt the starter in while the header was just dangling in place

they all are a little different. the headers I installed were hooker super comps 1 7/8 with 3" collectors.

put them in a contractor type trash bag before install...saves the paint...and follow instructions ..

ive never had to remove the torsion bars for any header install in any car. big block , small block, hookers long tubes or the like. the most ive ever had to do is run the centerlink through the drivers side header with the small block long tubes. the BB hedman long tubes slipped right in with the engine jacked up.

make sure that the headers dont have any cracks in them i bought a set new from headman headers and they had a crack and didnt relise it till they were on the car

ive never had to remove the torsion bars for any header install in any car. big block , small block, hookers long tubes or the like. the most ive ever had to do is run the centerlink through the drivers side header with the small block long tubes. the BB hedman long tubes slipped right in with the engine jacked up.

Maybe it wasn't necessary to take them out. But they were easily removed (recent suspension overhaul) so I took them out. Gave me more room. Not trying to scare anyone from using them. Just offered my story on my car. Guess I'll just stay out of the giving advise department. Can't seem to be any help to anyone. Although those are my intentions. Hell if you lived closer I'd put them on for ya.

Last edited:
Had 2" castlers on my 440 before now I have 2" super comps never had an issue I just jack up the engine one side at a time.

Maybe it wasn't necessary to take them out. But they were easily removed (recent suspension overhaul) so I took them out. Gave me more room. Not trying to scare anyone from using them. Just offered my story on my car. Guess I'll just stay out of the giving advise department. Can't seem to be any help to anyone. Although those are my intentions. Hell if you lived closer I'd put them on for ya.

I wasn't by any means saying it was the wrong way to do , I was just saying ive never had to. hell, I took out my steering box this last time just because it was easier to get the drivers side in . and I was able to put it in from the top, with the starter in. don't stop giving advice . every one has their way of doing things and its nice to hear everyones different means of approach.

Guys I appreciate all the advice!!! Please don't stop! I also have found you all to be a very convincing lot! Also, "fatecaptured" I appreciate that for sure, if I was closer I would have loved the help.

mike

Mike

Sure thing Mike. Was having one of them days. I apologize for ragging on the forum. This place has been a big help to me and I hope some day to be able to do the same.

Did a set of those on my '71 Road Runner with a 383 last year. Like some of the other posts said, put the car as high as you can on jackstands, jack up the motor, undo the centerlink from the pitman and idler and slide them in. The small high torque starter definitely made it easier on the drivers side, but either way they will go in without alot of hassle.

My 440 is out of my 71 charger, would it be easier to put the headers in place (in the engine bay) and try to lower the engine between them?

My 440 is out of my 71 charger, would it be easier to put the headers in place (in the engine bay) and try to lower the engine between them?

if you don't mind pulling the steering box, you can put both of them in from the top with the starter on the engine. this is with 78030 long tube hedmans. I found it much easier to do it that way. you will have to lift the engine a touch to get the box back in.

Thats how I do em. I have never swapped to a set with a running car. Usually swapped when the motor was out. I do remember in high school crawling under a 71 with a 440 to swap the gearbox and starter. Header was a PITA ,just in the way.. and it was already in the car, let alone trying to put a set in there. After that, when ever I get a big block I look for a set of HP manifolds, but I dont usually run real high hp engines that would require headers and personally like the manifolds.

Nothings as bad as the J10 p/u I have. I pulled the AMC drivetrain and put in a 400 with a 727/203 combo.... pretty much have to do half the spark plugs from the bottom!

Auto Transport Service
Back