• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers or no headers?

15 inch wheels, 3.55 gears, at 60mph is roughly 4700 rpm. What would be the max I would want to go in rpm range and still have at least 60 to 65 avalable to me on the high way?

4700rpm with 3.55s? Somethings not right there. And yes to headers. Nice little boost in performance.

I think the tire diameter was put in the calculator wrong. Unless you're using wheels from an old mini cooper, the diameter should be around 26", not 15. The rpm would be around 2500 or so at 60mph with 3.55 I think.

I'm thinking about removing the heat riser and welding the pin hole closed. To get the exhaust to fit better on my 72 Coronet. Since the build date is nov. 71. The 318 also has a build date of 1971. It's just not worth the cost of headers to the stock engine. Only mods I have to it is 4 barrel intake, carb and electronic ignition. When I get my 408 then I will get my headers.

I had a 69 Barracuda with a stock 318 LA motor, 2 barrel carb, auto, single exhaust, 2.76 rear end. I installed an Edelbrock Performer cam & intake manifold, 600 holley and headers with a dual system and electronic ignition and it literally was like a new engine performance wise. I believe the headers were a huge part of the gain, the whole lot needs to be done to get the most benefit. By comparison I now have a 66 Satellite with a 318 Poly which has the dual exhaust, weiand aluminium intake, 600 holley, but standard exhaust manifolds, no cam and standard ignition, and you can feel the restrictions in the way it revs. I realise it's a different engine, but once I get headers I think it will open it up a lot.

Auto Transport Service
Back