• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlights randomly turn off

Gotta what those repop cheap parts, the stuff made in the 60's and early 70's was pretty tough stuff made with good metal, now a days its cheap as crap. I would see if I could find an original headlamp switch in good shape.

I agree on the cheap repop parts. My old switch was working but the vacuum connection was broken.

We'll see how the relay fix works first. Should reduce the load on the switch.

Installed the harness from Cracked back today. That fixed the problem. Also replaced the headlights with Sylvania XV's. Big difference.

Lastly I replaced the rear tail lights with Putco plasma LEDs from Summit. Huge difference! No issues with flasher load either. Probably because I only changed the rear and the fronts still have enough load to keep them working correctly.

Thanks to to all for your replies, especially Crackedback.

RAY230,

Thanks for the positive comments. I hope the install was easy and straight forward.

People are usually very surprised at the improvement in lighting with the kit and a decent Halogen headlight. It's huge!

Hope the kit met your expectations.

Rob

The kit was great. Much heavier and better quality than any of the other harnesses I've bought. Only thing to do now is to clean up and remove the original harness.

A relay kit, like I build, will solve the heat problem in your system. The OEM system only triggers relays and carries very little load, less than .25 amps vs 15+ with the stock set up.

The breaker in the switch is tripping because the system has resistance somewhere that is building heat. The stock system is barely adequate to fire a set of lights, bean counters at their best!

There are plenty of solutions out there, some are much better design, materials and construction than others. Good luck with whatever you choose.
I'd like info on your harness my 70 GTX's lights go out randomly. The parking lights stay on as well as the taillights. Doesn't matter if the brights or dims are on. They just shut off. I'd love to try your relay thanks!!!!!

Chad

Heat in headlight terminal loosens rivet to internal contact, has happened to me a number of times. Even if you add a relay to take the load off the switch, you'll still have it happen if the terminal has loosened if the spade push on connector has been heat damaged.

Heat in headlight terminal loosens rivet to internal contact, has happened to me a number of times. Even if you add a relay to take the load off the switch, you'll still have it happen if the terminal has loosened if the spade push on connector has been heat damaged.
cool, thanks!! I just ordered a new (rebuilt switch and plan on putting in relays as well) I appreciate your feedback.

Chad

Chad,

Here is a thread about my kit. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/plug-and-play-headlight-relay-kits.88359/

My kit is a stand alone piece and only uses any existing wiring to trigger the relays.

If you start a conversation with me via PM, shoot an email address and I'll forward a set of instructions I did for an A body car. Same basic approach. Depending on car and where you'd like to mount relays, it takes anywhere for 45 minutes to 2 hours to install. Very simple kit to install.

Rob

Auto Transport Service
Back