• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner slightly loose

Jc cooper

Second gear fun!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
Anyone used hair dryer to help tighten up a few spots on recent headliner install

i actually used a heat gun set at its lowest temperature, obviously you have to be very careful not to over heat and melt headliner. It worked great for me, but they were very slight wrinkles. I'm sure hair dryer is way safer.

I had a few very small wrinkles in my headliner. A hair dryer helped it. Don’t expect miracles if you have large wrinkles. Go easy with the heat as it doesn’t take to over do it.

steam is best, amazon sells cheap portable steam machines for clothing steaming

Hey doing headliner 1st time, got it rigged up prety tight but there are wrinkles fold lines still left... Is there any way to work those off afterwards if I go ahead and glue it in place? Or is the only way to get rid of them heat and pulling it tighter when gluing?

Tips appreciated
1708538628635..jpg
1708538688905..jpg

I helped on a buddies nova years ago. Wrinkles larger that that. I used a kettle with water in it then followed up with hair dryer. (before internet and amazon) Be careful. The wrinkles really shrunk. I noticed that it pulled really tight along the edge. We got away with it, but I could see someone getting in trouble and shrinking it too much. Use the old vantage. Little at a time. Plus common sense. Good luck.

Bought 30eur steamer and some spray starch, worked wonders. Seems to stretch the material slightly so i guess better to get fold lines out before gluing. Results:
IMG-20240222-WA0002.jpeg
IMG_20240222_170525.jpg

When I did my Dart's headliner, I pulled it as tight as I could. It had wrinkles here and there, so I rolled up the windows and left it sit in the sun for a day or two. That took care of all the wrinkles.

Getting er done bit by bit, tedious work to glue small portions at time... C pillar abit finnicky to get installed without wrinkles. Snow on the ground here, would imagine this ti be easier job in summer heat
IMG_20240225_224440.jpg

IMG_20240225_223440.jpg

No clue how they did these in the production line in time but its possible to do it by yourself if you take time massaging, im prety hapy with the end result.. finally can start to button up the rest of interior
IMG_20240227_200341.jpg

IMG_20240227_200404.jpg

IMG_20240227_200046.jpg

I had a few wrinkles and fold marks in my headliner after it was installed in my '64 Polara. I just left it alone, and they disappeared in a couple of weeks.

Auto Transport Service
Back