• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headrest chrome stripe

moparcanuck

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
How do I remove the chrome stripe from around my headrests? They're stuck on real good. :edgy:

Im curious to hear this too. 1 person told me to trim as close as possible with a good exacto knife to remove it but I would like to hear this from more than 1 person if it is possible.

Im curious to hear this too. 1 person told me to trim as close as possible with a good exacto knife to remove it but I would like to hear this from more than 1 person if it is possible.
I know I'm on a 4 year old thread, but I'd be grateful for any ideas on this. The chrome is all gone off my stripes, and I'd like them to look good again. The knife treatment sounds a bit risky, if they are bonded, they made a really good job of it, and I'd be concerned about damaging my headrests, which are in great shape. There are products such as this: http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/md2021.html
-any experience, do you need to remove the old trim...?

Funny this thread is resurrected. Mine are also "dechromed" but well adhered. Just had this discussion at a car show last weekend. One guy said they just pull off and you can buy replacements at AutoZone or such, but I too am leery about removing them.

I would probably start with using 3M adhesive remover.

I know I'm on a 4 year old thread, but I'd be grateful for any ideas on this. The chrome is all gone off my stripes, and I'd like them to look good again. The knife treatment sounds a bit risky, if they are bonded, they made a really good job of it, and I'd be concerned about damaging my headrests, which are in great shape. There are products such as this: http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/md2021.html
-any experience, do you need to remove the old trim...?

I bought these from classic and replaced mine. They go on easy and stay put like they should. However the old ones were hard to get off, they were just glued on from the factory but when removing them you have to be careful not to tear the headrest. Go slow with a small screwdriver to pry and an exacto knife to trim. Mine had some sections that would come off easy then get to a hard spot and have to work at it a little. But the new ones look great.

I bought these from classic and replaced mine. They go on easy and stay put like they should. However the old ones were hard to get off, they were just glued on from the factory but when removing them you have to be careful not to tear the headrest. Go slow with a small screwdriver to pry and an exacto knife to trim. Mine had some sections that would come off easy then get to a hard spot and have to work at it a little. But the new ones look great.
-thanks for that, sounds like the way to go and add to my list of winter projects!

Auto Transport Service
Back