• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heater box restoration

Someone painted mine black so I used that Citru-strip on it and it looks new again. I re stamped the part number on the cover with a stamp I had made by rubberstampchamp.com and used some old yellow lacquer I had on the shelf.
How bout some pics?

Here's they I have already installed it. The last pic is of an area I had to repair I used the piece from another box that was too far gone to fix.

IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0036.JPG

My camera flash makes it look more shiny that what it actually is...

Original dated heater core was redone by Glen Ray....
DSC03488.JPG
DSC03489.JPG
DSC03493.JPG
DSC03482.JPG

I put the placed the core and evaporator in their respective halves. Tonight. Tomorrow I will put them back together, along with the actuators and hoses/linkages.
DMT has good products but their diagrams and instructions are pathetic. Barely legible. I had to fall back on the 100+ photos I took. The foam and chalk rope around the core were difficult to replace because they were absent when I disassembled the unit.

Is there something wrong with painting your heater box? I think mine looks nice painted and clear coated. I did take a pic of the stamping on mine in case I choose to replicate it. But I don't see the point unless it was an A12 or a Hemi

Is there something wrong with painting your heater box? I think mine looks nice painted and clear coated. I did take a pic of the stamping on mine in case I choose to replicate it. But I don't see the point unless it was an A12 or a Hemi
Trent

The box you posted is an AC box....that IS painted.....

The non AC boxes are a fiber/fiberglass moulded unit. It has a very distinct look with the white fibers...once painted you lose that....

Some people differ from your a12/hemi view....I think you need to roll up to an OE gold judging venue and see all the cars entered(it is not just 6 packs and hemi's). For some its not about the money but the love for originality and history of these machines......

Now that makes sense. I thought about stamping the yellow #s back on mine, so I took a pic. No point for what I have though.

Is there any market for refurbished A/C heater boxes? I just bought a good used one today for a fair price. Kinda thinking on overhauling it and selling it.

Also, I just take my evaporator and core to my radiator repair shop. They clean them and pressure test/repair if needed.
Is that anything different from what you guys do? Would that suffice?

Now that makes sense. I thought about stamping the yellow #s back on mine, so I took a pic. No point for what I have though.

Is there any market for refurbished A/C heater boxes? I just bought a good used one today for a fair price. Kinda thinking on overhauling it and selling it.

Also, I just take my evaporator and core to my radiator repair shop. They clean them and pressure test/repair if needed.
Is that anything different from what you guys do? Would that suffice?
I have only restored one AC box. I got the evaporator/core tested as you did. Tested the blower motor and checked the door actuators. Checked all hoses....

The main problem is Shipping cost.......and a select market

The door seal is rotten in my fresh air vent. is that part of the DTM kit? if not where can I find one.

I believe it's part of the master kit.
Post a picture of what your talking about I may have a spare

Auto Transport Service
Back