• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Core replacement on 72 non-AC Charger

JR_Charger

Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
Four Seasons 91523, does not fit (new at top, old at bottom) -

heater-core-doesnt-fit-01.jpg

This little bracket is welded a bit too far down the pipes, and the pipes aren't angled quite right -

heater-core-doesnt-fit-02.jpg

I'll let RockAuto try replacing it, but I suspect the next part will be no better. The only other one they have is the AGILITY 9010117 for $100. I'm wondering if I should try to clean out the original, which probably isn't very bad, but it is 52 years old.

Thoughts/recommedations?

That sounds like a good and very expensive option.

I remember having the same issue with the bracket, not correctly located at all. It wasn't too difficult to get it off and solder it back at the correct location and angle. I am not sure but I might also have heated the tubes and slightly bent them.
Works fine now.

If I were experienced with that kind of thing I might try fixing it too. I've never tried soldering metal parts together before, only wires.

I sent my first Four Seasons 91523 back to Rock Auto today. Hopefully the next one will be better but it sounds like this could be a common problem.

I don't know, my soldering irons rarely last past the first use. I must be doing something bad wrong.

Just completed a rebuild on my 72 Charger. There was a guy who had a few NOS on ebay and they were reasonable. His ebay name is highway92parts

IMG_6010.JPG

Screenshot 2024-03-08 164131.jpg

Last edited:
2nd Four Seasons 91523 -

The brace on the pipes is wonky again, but I think I can work with this one.

19_new_heater_core_01.JPG

I think this bracket would be o.k. if I repositioned it on the top pipe. This is definitely solder, right? I guess the part is heated with a propane torch? I doubt any soldering iron I've ever owned would heat that much metal.

There's a foam seal that goes behind the bracket, it would be nice to have a new one.

Gaps on the heater core end -

19_new_heater_core_02.JPG

19_new_heater_core_03.JPG

That is a very common problem with these as far as I have seen in the aftermarket world. I understand the expense part of redoing an original but how much is YOUR time worth. I would have sent it out and had a new core put in it. I know it's your time only but sometimes you need to put a value on time to see if it's worth it. Not to mention if you crack the core while moving pipes around and it leaks you have to this job all over again.

One has to learn about "recoring" before one can "recore." This is the last time I'll be messing with an aftermarket heater core.

Last two I had Glen Ray do were $125 with a quick turn around. Might be a bit more now but well worth it.

I have had Glen Ray do a couple for me as well. It wasn't terribly expensive, and best of all, they fit perfect.

Auto Transport Service
Back