• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heater hoses

paul1969cars

Local time
5:41 PM
Reaction score
I have a question

the two hoses from heater core to nipples on front of block

is there a correct way to run these? for instance the far left on firewall runs to the the nipple closest to the distributor cap on this attached image.
and the one to the right on firewall runs to the nipple closest to the fan

so in this pic the hoses cross over each other

seems wrong to me. Dont know if it matters or not

i also have the correct hoses for a 1969 may production date b body. I attached the hoses to this email. there are two different part numbers on hose, so i assume one goes on the other and one goes in the inner side when facing the firewall?

Thanks

IMG-6888.jpg

IMG_9871.jpg

There is a right way and a wrong way to route heater hoses. It will show in factory service manual.

There is a right way and a wrong way to route heater hoses. It will show in factory service manual.
It does and there is being that they should cross and not run parallel to each other, despite the fact that both my Bee and Justin's GTX came off Lynch road with them parallel. Justin gave in to peer pressure and crossed his just before the Chicago reveal. Mine are still parallel.

If the OP browses either of our sticky threads he'll find the answer as to which part# goes on which water pump spigget. I'm still at camp and on data so can't go browsing for him.

It looks better when they dont cross each other after the fender bracket

but the service manual has them crossed

the outlet side of heater core is closer to driver side and that nipple gets hose #1605 534 83044
the inlet side of heater core is closer to passenger side and that nipples get hose #1527 532 83044

the hoses run parallel til after the bracket on the fender then they cross over each other

The only "right/wrong" would possibly be making sure to have the heater control valve on the FEED hose, so hot coolant isn't being pumped into the heater core and becoming stagnant. If the HCV is on the return hose, the hot coolant from the engine will get pumped into the heater core and just sit there. Not as hot as circulating coolant, but still...a hot spot under the dash, which is nice to avoid on a hot day. With the HCV on the feed hose, less of a chance of hot coolant simply sitting in the core.

Not running the hoses in the proper orientation is like reversing your radiator hoses.
The core absolutely knows which way the coolant flows.
Like pumping hot coolant to the bottom of your radiator instead of the top.

The cooling system section of the FSM shows the flow path. If you follow it, the hoses will cross...
IMG_9233.JPG

why , does the heater core know which way the coolant is running thru it ?
I ran mine paralell , no problems for 12ish yrs , looks better too !!
same here. Mine don't cross and I have zero heat issues, BUT I live in a climate where I never turn the heater on . SO..........

One of these days I will get a set of the OE looking hoses. ,,,,maybe

20230915_163756.jpg

Last edited:
Not running the hoses in the proper orientation is like reversing your radiator hoses.
The core absolutely knows which way the coolant flows.
Like pumping hot coolant to the bottom of your radiator instead of the top.
b. s. , the core will get the same temp regardless , its not too smart anyway , mines been paralell for 12ish yrs , and hasn`t bitched yet !!

Well Bob, the fact that your core hasn’t bitched in 12 yrs certainly tells you it’s a male…. Just saying.. lol

Thanks for the laugh!
Well Bob, the fact that your core hasn’t bitched in 12 yrs certainly tells you it’s a male…. Just saying.. lol

Other threads have been posted about this & most say the line workers didn't give a rat's *** if they crossed or not. They just had to be routed properly.

Auto Transport Service
Back