• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello from Germany

Also hello from germany.
Though berlin is a bit far away from ingolstadt. :D
Was stationed at Hahn AFB from late 71 to early 73 but made it to Frankfurt a lot and many other places between the two. Really enjoyed my time off there. My car was a 66 Opel Record with 4 on the floor, bucket seats and 4 door which was something that was never done in the U.S. I did something similar to a 66 Plymouth Belvedere but the factory never made one.....

Welcome from Missouri!!

My car was a 66 Opel Record with 4 on the floor, bucket seats and 4 door which was something that was never done in the U.S. I did something similar to a 66 Plymouth Belvedere but the factory never made one.....

This set up is or at least was pretty common in germany.
my parents own an old audi 80 b3, opel vectra a and a mercedes w124.
All 4 doors, with buckets and manual shifter on the floor. :)

Edit:

I think you can still get this new in the low price segment. :D (Not sure, though)

When i made my drivers license about 8 years ago they still used cars with manual transmissions.
It actually was an at that time new/recent audi a3, with 4 doors, buckets and manual transmission. :D

Dont know if they still use cars with manual transmissions when teaching people how to drive. :)

Last edited:
My mom also had an original Rabbit Mk1 (not the GTI, also a 4 door with buckets and manual floor shifter) that she still had when i started driving.
She bought it as a 1 year old pre owned vehicle back in the days. Unfortunately my dad got into a wreck (was not his fault) which totaled the car. fortunately my dad did not even get injured.

Anyway those are nice little cars, especially in the city when space is thight.
But i absolutely DONT get why people are paying that much for the GTIs.
Those are not very comfortable and i've never seen a german version that had AC. (Classic european cars most of the time dont have AC)
They are also not THAT fast or good handling either. (FWD, 4 cylinder)
There are much better classic cars for that kind of money in my opinion. If i had to have that shape, i would buy a Dodge Omni GLHS instead. :)

Last edited:
Welcome from Mid-Michigan. Good luck on your search.

Dont know if they still use cars with manual transmissions when teaching people how to drive. :)
Very few people in the U.S. know how to drive a stick and half of those that do, really don't know how to be smooth with one....

Thanks for all your support. I hope to find a 4 Speed car. I had one Q5 4 Speed RR In 2017 and i love it. But I had tho let him go for a Bahama yellow RR with 440/6 (was a 383 car in alpine withe before). So now I am sad an want to find a Patina or day two sytle one... is that possible ?

Hello from California! Anything is possible...

welcome to the forum. I was stationed in Frankfurt in 1972 and drove a 1964 Opel cadet with a 3 speed manual on the column and no clutch pedal. The shifter arm engaged the clutch as you shifted. Weird car as you didn't need a clutch when stopped and in gear.

Auto Transport Service
Back