• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hells Angels founder Sonny Barger won't be down for breakfast

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score

Hells Angels founder Sonny Barger has died at the age of 83 after battling cancer.

The biker, from California, passed away peacefully surrounded by his wife, Zorana, and relatives on June 29.

A statement on his Facebook page read: “If you are reading this message, you’ll know that I’m gone. I’ve asked that this note be posted immediately after my passing.

“I’ve lived a long and good life filled with adventure. And I’ve had the privilege to be part of an amazing club.”

He told fans to “stay loyal, remain free, and always value honor.”

Barger was best known for launching the Oakland Hells Angels and is often credited for building the gang into an international organization, the Mercury News revealed.
The group marked its 65th anniversary in April.
Barger revealed in his autobiography that he was inspired by
the 1953 crime movie “The Wild One,” which starred Marlon Brando.

In 1972, he and three others were acquitted of murdering a Texas drug dealer and setting a home on fire.

GettyImages-1277396818-e1656580226480.jpg

Hells Angels founder Sonny Barger, seen here in January 1979, has died after a long battle with cancer. Getty Images

GettyImages-131556227.jpg

Sonny Barger and the Hells Angels holding their flag in a scene from the film “Hell’s Angels ’69.”Getty Images

Barger was sentenced to 10 years to life behind bars in 1973 after he was convicted of possession of narcotics and a weapon by a convicted felon.

He was paroled in November 1977 after serving four-and-a-half years of his sentence, the Santa Cruz Sentinel reported.

After being released, Barger said he didn’t know if he would continue leading the motorcycle gang.

In 1979, he was among 33 people indicted on charges of violating the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

LIFE-HELLS-ANGEL.jpg

Sonny Barger served over four years of jail time of a 10-year sentence for narcotics and weapons possession in the 1970s.REUTERS

The legislation, signed by President Richard Nixon, explicitly aimed to combat organized crime across the United States.
Barger was acquitted in 1980 after a split verdict.

The biker was diagnosed with cancer years later and had his vocal cords removed.

GettyImages-541790944.jpg

Barger was acquitted of RICO charges in 1980.Corbis via Getty Images

Battles with the law​

In 1987, Barger was arrested on charges relating to narcotics, weapons and explosives as FBI agents and state law enforcement carried out a series of raids.
Law enforcement revealed that Barger was accused of transporting and receiving explosives designed to “kill, maim or threaten.”

Cops claimed he was suspected of being involved in the murder of John Cleve Webb, the Anchorage Hells Angels president.

GettyImages-524257660.jpg

arger was convicted of conspiracy in 1988. He served almost four more years in prison.Corbis via Getty Images

John Van de Kamp, who was the California attorney general at the time, said police seized more than 100 weapons and $1 million in cash and drugs as more than two dozen raids were executed.

Barger was convicted of conspiracy in October 1988 and was sentenced to four years in jail.

He was released from FCI Phoenix in November 1992 after serving three-and-a-half years behind bars.

Barger had written six books, including his autobiography, “Hell’s Angel.”

R.I.P.

Rest In Peace Sonny, I think I will read your books again.

Some early pix of his bikes...
22061806-AF42-45A8-AD09-DB3B22D87089.jpeg
9E7543F7-9754-4D47-B0CA-D89EE1F40DBB.jpeg
0C785F6B-5C2F-4888-A405-F1D704272802.jpeg
1201D3A5-8BB6-49C1-9D97-7E2DC66EEEDB.jpeg
503DA267-A3CD-4A73-86EF-84BBD5464780.jpeg
F2065D7D-4167-49C3-8E64-416B97647153.jpeg
415488AF-927A-4E21-A7F5-DFA306CDD53D.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t know - I’m more inclined to say - Good riddance. Others are free to their own opinions of course - but I’ve never seen nor heard of anything redeeming about this guy or his little group of Schwinn bicycle riders. You reap what you sow. And he/they sowed plenty.

I don’t know - I’m more inclined to say - Good riddance. Others are free to their own opinions of course - but I’ve never seen nor heard of anything redeeming about this guy or his little group of Schwinn bicycle riders. You reap what you sow. And he/they sowed plenty.
I'm with you. while a legend he was not the best kind of citizen. I wont mis him but wouldn't have known he was dead if it weren't for this place

Didn't know he wrote any books...
not sure it's my kind of book

any cliff notes (?) recommendations

When I was growing up in the SF east bay area
they were pretty much enemy #1 on the news
Most the news, was a lot more conservative-leaning,
then it is today

But I do remember
they did some good stuff for children in hospitals, toy drives etc.

but they were better known for illegal activities, drugs or gang ****,
RICO stuff

saw a lot of them at drag races,
I never had any problems with any of them

I do remember in the mid to late 60's Oakland was a real shithole
(still is in many ways)
it was either the bikers/1%ers or the militant blacks/Black Panthers
all causing trouble, or dealing something, usually associated with violence

RIP Sonny,
you will be judged by a different std now...

Hey!!! :p :D
1BB611E6-9196-4045-AB52-DC2F0DAAC391.jpeg
5D44B002-25F0-442F-B44E-EAD69D142A8F.jpeg

Thank you ! ... my perspective is they/he were nothing more than POS

Thank you ! ... my perspective is they/he were nothing more than POS
I just thought those bikes looked rad. How ‘bout that bobber in the first pic I put up? I see that style now with the big front tire... I thought it was a new look! :D

"Women. You can't live with them and you can't make soup from their bones".
Sonny Barger
I think he mellowed out a lot in his later years. Age and cancer tends to do that.

Auto Transport Service
Back